Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
My best diet is no diet - seriously >

My best diet is no diet - seriously

Community
Notices

My best diet is no diet - seriously

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM
FitDay Member

There's two different ways to define "diet". It can mean a temporary overly regimented and restricted way of eating until x amount of pounds are lost, at which time the "diet" is over and you go back to eating mindlessly; or it can mean the food you eat day in and day out as part of a permanent routine. If the word "diet" is attached to the first meaning, then it's healthier to give your "lifestyle" a new label as a way of preventing old habits from creeping in.

Words have a lot of power, but only as much power as we let the words have. I'm a bit of a linguistics freak, so I apologize if I sound too nerdy : )

Last edited by Lizzycritter; 12-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Lizzy on all counts. Words have tremendous power. If they didn't, nothing anyone said on these posts would matter or get any response. (I'm a word nerd myself.)

What I was also trying to say is that we tend to extrapolate from our own experience. People who feel they lacked discipline in their own habits (not that I am suggesting you are part of this group; you all seem very disciplined) may feel that others lack willpower to stay on healthy eating programs.

But I think if you reread the posts on this thread, you will find that the people who posted try to keep fit and healthy (playing softball, eating mindfully and so on.) They might just be tired of the tyranny of certain kinds of eating programs (trying to avoid the "d" word here.) And speaking as one who has been on some kind of "eating program" or other (including a low carb bodybuilder diet) FOR 38 YEARS (since I was 12), I can relate.

The anti dieting guru Geneen Roth once said that for every diet there is an equal and opposite binge. This is diet in Lizzy's first definition, that temporary program that is going to make you lose that weight, make you a bright shiny new person and fix your life. Some of us prefer (or, in my case, would like) to live within Lizzy's second defintion, something that becomes an integral part of your life.

You know, I hear there are actually some people who do not obssess over every morsel that goes into their mouths. They eat when they are hungry, stop when they are full and go on with their lives. That's the kind of person I am not but would love to be. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Last edited by canary52; 12-04-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by canary52
You know, I hear there are actually some people who do not obssess over every morsel that goes into their mouths. They eat when they are hungry, stop when they are full and go on with their lives. That's the kind of person I am not but would love to be. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.
Sure do wish I could be one of "those" people too--but if I've not accomplished it in 46 years, I don't think it's in the cards for me. At this point I'm pretty much resigned (not that it's really THAT big of a deal) to having to track my food intake forever (having proven more than once that I can't be trusted not to fall back into old habits if I don't).

I DO, though, agree that (for me at least) following a "Diet" is not the answer. Rather, establishing some good nutritional guidelines, including a calorie level and carb/protien/fat mix and sticking with it works well and makes more sense. Of course, YMMV.

Regards,
Michael