The Zone or Atkins? >

The Zone or Atkins?

Community
Notices

The Zone or Atkins?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Davej323 !!

The most recent copy of Consumer Reports states that Low Carb diets are the best way to go according to studies over the last seven years.

Gary Taubes is a good author on the subject too.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

Me too that doesn't make any since because less insulin is secreted on a low carb diet so that doesn't add up with insulin resistance. I read part of the article and it doesn't seem like they actually did any research but just crunched numbers on other ppls research. The most efficient research would be for them to pick their own subjects with proper inclusion and exclusion criteria so as to eliminate bias.

Last edited by healthycint; 01-04-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SaraR74
Hi,

I am all for getting healthy and being motivated to lose weight, but I've seen so many people struggle with these low-carb diets.

Research on The Zone and Atkins has shown that the high-protein diet creates a resistance to insulin which could spark diabetes. You need to be careful when you chose a diet like this. The fats recommended are not the healthiest for your cholesterol levels. Hopefully a better mix of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats will be rewritten into these diets.

Remember that carbs aren't your enemy. A good balance in diet and exercise are key, especially when looking at the long term.

All the best to you!

Sara
Sara's Health Journal
Actually the low carb plans reverse insulin resistance. And the fat intake in the form of saturated fat is not bad for you either.

The above mentioned things are what we have been conditioned to think is true when it is actually not.

My cholesterol and triglycerides went way down after embarking on the low carb lifestyle.

Personally with all the research and reading I have been doing, I will take Saturated fats over PUFA's (these are the vegetable oils and they are highly processed and anything but healthy) any day.

The fats I choose are: beef tallow, chicken skin, filtered bacon drippings, coconut oil and olive oil.

All those fats are natural occurring and CLEAN.

We could all benefit from going back to the way our previous generations ate.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bluejay77
Thanks Davej323 !!

The most recent copy of Consumer Reports states that Low Carb diets are the best way to go according to studies over the last seven years.

Gary Taubes is a good author on the subject too.
yes, Gary Taubes is a fantastic resource on this subject as is Mary Enig also.

Despite the research more and more doctors are doing and proving that the lower carb plans are the way to go is not how society and food manufacturers are going to let it be known that low carb lifestyles are in deed healthy and very sustainable.

If that were to happen, companies like Kelloggs, Kraft, General Mills, etc……….would be in jeopardy of going out of business and fresh meat, fruits and veggies would be flying off the shelves. We would ditch all the low fat, sugar-filled crap to opt for a handful of nuts, seeds or a cup of fresh made yogurt with fresh fruit.

Not only would the food manufacturers suffer, but so would the medical community. Why??? Because a lot of the disorders, diseases and ailments that we Westerners suffer from are brought on by being lazy and looking for instant gratification.

Eating clean and keeping the carbs lower is the way to go for optimum health. There is too much history (look at how low diseases and disorders were before the low fat revolution) and factual research to back up my above mentioned statements.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Primal-Lioness
Not only would the food manufacturers suffer, but so would the medical community. Why??? Because a lot of the disorders, diseases and ailments that we Westerners suffer from are brought on by being lazy and looking for instant gratification.

Eating clean and keeping the carbs lower is the way to go for optimum health. There is too much history (look at how low diseases and disorders were before the low fat revolution) and factual research to back up my above mentioned statements.
So true! After reading both books on the The Zone and The Atkins diet it is so clear that the Zone is basically a book about how to eat like a caveman, and that eating that way is correct. No refined flour sugars or whatever. Zone tries to keep your insulin level stable and Dr. Spears believes that high insulin levels causes heart problems. I tend to agree with everything he says.
I also tried the Atkins diet to see if I was missing out on anything. I used the litmis strips and was in "Ketosis?" Felt great 1st week after that I lost a LOT of strength at the gym, if I remember correctly my bench press alone dropped 60lbs overnight. Then we have to deal with bad breath and a massive amount of vitamins to deal with the loss of fruits and veges.
So yes the Zone diet I would say is perfect but it will never get endorsed by todays businesses for reasons Lioness stated above, money rules the world people........along with fat attorneys.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RockyCapone5
So true! After reading both books on the The Zone and The Atkins diet it is so clear that the Zone is basically a book about how to eat like a caveman, and that eating that way is correct. No refined flour sugars or whatever. Zone tries to keep your insulin level stable and Dr. Spears believes that high insulin levels causes heart problems. I tend to agree with everything he says.
I also tried the Atkins diet to see if I was missing out on anything. I used the litmis strips and was in "Ketosis?" Felt great 1st week after that I lost a LOT of strength at the gym, if I remember correctly my bench press alone dropped 60lbs overnight. Then we have to deal with bad breath and a massive amount of vitamins to deal with the loss of fruits and veges.
So yes the Zone diet I would say is perfect but it will never get endorsed by todays businesses for reasons Lioness stated above, money rules the world people........along with fat attorneys.
I had more energy with the Atkins plan and felt great!! I was also stronger in the gym too.

How did you have loss of veggies with Atkins? I ate plenty of veggies and added in all fruits eventually also.

If you didn't eat a plethora of veggies and then add in fruit as you moved up the carb ladder, then you were NOT doing the Atkins plan.

I see all of this research that states that saturated fats (using lard, bacon grease, butter and coconut oil) are the healthy way to go........

However, these items don't fatten the pockets of those in the food industry.......these items can be found through the natural cooking process of other foods.

Therefore Crisco and Wesson can not make money off their PUFA's which are often sitting on the shelf rancid and are highly carcinogenic.

I am currently pursuing a degree in Holistic Health Coaching and I am currently reading a book about the Coconut Oil Miracle.

Those populations in the world that have a high fat and plant based eating plan are among the healthiest in the world.............low or almost non-existent occurrences of heart disease, diabetes, etc..........
Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

I lost 72lbs on Atkins (see here: YouTube - MeekNAtkins's Channel) and maintained for 3.5 years. I gained a lot of the weight back due to a difficult pregnancy in 2009; however, I am the process of getting the weight off again. The day after my pregnancy, I weighed in at 230lbs. A month later, I got down to 197lbs.

I've started this year off right by sticking to a lower carb way of eating while lots of cardio and weight training.

I'm living a healthier life style with LOW CARBS!!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:43 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I am new here, but thought I would reply since I have followed both diets at different times. I lost 40 lbs once on Atkins. I thought it was an easy diet to lose weight on, but I often felt tired and irritable during the first stage when the carbs are severely limited. Although the pounds came off, the weight loss was difficult to maintain because of the different stages. I never got the hang of the maintenance stage.

In 2009, I tried the Zone Diet because it seemed realistic, flexible and well balanced. I lost 60 pounds, and honestly didn't struggle with hunger or cravings. I got a little sloppy with my eating habits over the last 4 or 5 months and gained back a little weight (5lbs) which is why I'm here, but the Zone Diet really has become a lifestyle for me and since realigning my eating habits back to the 40-30-30 a month ago, I've lost 3 pounds and eliminated the cravings that were causing me to overeat.

Everyone is different, but that's my experience anyway. Good luck to you!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Actually, an update on the Consumer Reports rankings of diets: Jenny Craig came out on top in the recent rankings. Slimfast, Weight Watchers, the Zone, Ornish, and Atkins (from highest rank to lowest).

Just sayin'...