Notices

I want to know

Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
FitDay Member

Default I want to know

Have you had success by doing nothing but restricting calories and exerciseing? Or, have you had better success by following a specific plan IE low Carb, Zone, ETC.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

I personally lost 50 lbs in one school year just by eating what the kitchen made each meal and exercising in the gym for about 5 1/2 hours a week. I never counted calories. Now this was not speedy weight loss, that 50 pounds took me from Sept to the end of April, (although during Christmas break I gained almost 10 pounds back!) but over the summer even though I was eating a lot and barely watching my weight I gained only two pounds, so it seems as though slow but steady worked well for my body.
Now I am counting calories and trying to get lots of exercise but other than that I have no special "diet plan". It works for me.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

I find that a low carb plan works best, but is often hard to stick to long term.

A couple other things I've found helpful: Don't drink your calories. Get lots of water. Get proper sleep. Make sure at least some of your exercise is "fun" and some is for building muscles. Set long term goal, and mini goals leading up to it... and not all goals should be about the scale.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 AM
FitDay Member

Here is what has worked for me.
* Restrict calories, keeping protein at 30% of calories.
* Restrict simple carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, sugar and processed foods.
* Exercise - 20-30 minutes HIIT 3 times a week. (I have been neglecting this and so have been on a plateau recently.) I seem to need this to keep my metabolism up.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Here is what has worked for me.
* Restrict calories, keeping protein at 30% of calories.
* Restrict simple carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, sugar and processed foods.
This has worked for me along with regular exercise. I probably eat more simple carbs than i should though.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

I don't follow any specific plan, but I do much better when I log my calories IN ADVANCE. When I plan my day, I can stay 1500-1700 calories easily. When I don't plan ahead but just try to "watch it" and log in at the end of the day, I'm at 1800-2100. I don't have any forbidden foods, but find it's easiest to save calories without "missing out" by cutting portion sizes on simple carbs like potatoes, rice, bread. Keeping my protein up helps me to not feel hungry too, so I try to keep that above 25%, not always easy to accomplish. I don't worry about fat since I eat lean meat and don't deep fry anything. There can be a ton of hidden calories in what you drink. I drink a lot of water and unsweetened tea. I don't eat many artificial sweeteners, more than half a can of diet soda is usually enough to give me a major headache. I can drink diet A&W root beer, and that's my occasional sweet tooth craving go-to item. I have fudgesicles and mini ice cream sandwiches in the freezer so I can have a real dessert but in a reasonable portion size. 60 calories for a fudgesicle is a lot better than 400 calories in a bowl of chocolate ice cream.

I'm also taking tomorrow off but all leftovers I eat in the coming week will be properly logged. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default What has worked for me..

What has worked for me is counting calories and watching portion sizes. Also, I make sure to eat min of 3 meals a day. I allow myself snacks but try to keep them around 100 calories so I don't overdo it. I do not skip breakfast like I used to do. I eat oatmeal for breakfast because it is quick and easy. Like someone had stated previously I will sometimes prelog my calories to see where the day stands. There are times I don't get enough calories and don't want to get in the habit of binging at the end of the day to make sure I get enough. I stay between 1200 and 1500 calories a day and it seemed to work. I have lost 74lbs since the middle of January this year. Whatever you do don't deprive yourself. If you like carbs don't go on a low carb diet. Do what works for you and you will succeed. This is not a diet but a lifestyle change just remember that and you will do fine. Good luck and welcome.