Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
How many calories do you aim for a day? >

How many calories do you aim for a day?

Community
Notices

How many calories do you aim for a day?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

I eat 1500 calories a day, eliminating all white flour and white sugar (they both do a number on me - and not a good one!). That seems to be the perfect weight loss caloric intake for me. 3 days is weight training and 6 days is cardio.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
FitDay Member

Can anyone help me out? I'm doing the Insanity workout and I'm trying to get an idea of my daily caloric needs. I'm 34, 6'5", and 230 lbs. According to the fitness guide that came with the workout series I should be taking in between 3000 and 3300 calories a day. Does that sound anywhere close to right? WHat are your best guesses?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by xrookie650
Can anyone help me out? I'm doing the Insanity workout and I'm trying to get an idea of my daily caloric needs. I'm 34, 6'5", and 230 lbs. According to the fitness guide that came with the workout series I should be taking in between 3000 and 3300 calories a day. Does that sound anywhere close to right? WHat are your best guesses?
All depends if you are trying to lose weight or maintain.

That caloric count looks like it is in the ballpark for maintaining. Then again, I do not know what the Insanity workout is about.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

how bout that im doing the insanity program too! just started it two days ago. Well i use to be a personal trainer but nutrition was never my specialty. im 21 6'2" 234 lbs so we are not so far off and for my age and activities my doc said its freakish how low my metabolism is(never a thing anyone wants to hear!). The most important thing is to maintain a high intake of protein. i try to keep it about 300 grams because i usually only take in about 130 grams of carbs. if you dont eat enough protein(especially while doing insanity) you will definitly start shredding muscles because your body will begin to use muscle tissue for energy. My only problem is that while im watching what i eat i am typically only getting over 2000 calories a day. After two weeks ill redo my measurements and see if i need to force more food down my throat. Just make sure you have plenty of quick absorbing carbs directly after the workout. i stick to about 50 grams of protein and 50 grams of carbs. get it from a protein shake or some kind of quick absorbing food. Replenish that body and dig deeper the insanity program isnt a joke! On the bright side if you really are keeping up with your stats on here it wont take long to see if you need to raise or lower your caloric intake! good luck
Old 03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

Due to injury i am unable to do much of a workout. starting weight 335 (Feb 10) right now i am eating anywhere from 900 - 1100 calories a day, mostly fat free foods or organic foods. I am now 325.6 (March 05)... 10 pounds, and i still dont think its enough...any advice? Nutrition Calculators ( this site tells me to eat 2826 calories a day to loose 1 pound a week. i just divided it in 3 to loose 3 pounds a week. to 942 calories a day...Ill see if it works
Old 03-06-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a 5'-2", 41 year old female, trying to get down from 244 to a healthy weight of 120. I've lost 44 pounds so far by increasing my workout from 1-3 times a week to everyday. I go 60-90 minutes and I have no specific routine, just whatever I feel like doing, but 30-60 minutes of it is usually on the elliptical. I've done all kinds of programs and websites trying to figure out how many calories I should eat, and most of them put it around 1800-2000 calories. Well when I eat that much I get terrible heartburn and gain weight, regardless of my workout. So I've dropped it down to 1300-1500, every now and then I'm lower than that, but typically I'm at 1400ish. I'm comfortable at this amount, I get what I need vitamin-wise, I'm losing weight, I have lots of energy, I don't get heartburn and I feel good.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Meghan, 10 lbs in a month is excellent progress, especially if you can't exercise like we all should. If you cut your calories much lower, your body won't get what it needs, you'll go into starvation mode, and at some point you won't be able to take it anymore. Then you'll binge and put it all back plus a few pounds more. Slow steady weight loss is maintainable weight loss. Keeping it off for life is the real prize.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a female, 5'6, 237 lbs with a seated with movement activity level. I have my goal set for 2,200, although I try to aim for 2,000.

Last month I aimed for 1600-1700 cals per day. I could only really manage that if I was absolutely obsessive about it, so I figured I'd increase my calories to avoid any backfires and it seems to be working well because I've lost 8 lbs this month!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

I try for 2000, but keep going over
Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
FitDay Member

24 year old dude here, around 165 lbs last I checked, might have put on some flub in the last two weeks off from the gym. When I'm taking time off from the gym I usually get between 1600-2200 cals/day. Weeks where I'm really active, I maintain on anywhere from 2200-3000 cals/day.

Workouts for me are 5 days/week, with a good 15-20 minutes light mobility exercises (lunges, slow squats, shoulder rolls), about an hour of heavy liftin' , followed by a good 15-20 minutes of static stretching, so I need all those calories.

-Nik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.