Notices

low carb and vegan?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM
FitDay Member

Default low carb and vegan?

does anyone know whether its possible to stick to a low carb diet if you are vegan? and if it is, how do you do it? if it isn't, can anyone recommend any weight loss diets that are workable for vegans?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
FitDay Member

fruits, veggies and beans?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
FitDay Member

Don't worry about the low carbs, worry about the simple carbs. Eliminate or severly restrict the processed foods, anything made with white flour, white rice and sugar. Get as much protein in your diet. Tofu and beans are good protein sources.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vivienneamillion
does anyone know whether its possible to stick to a low carb diet if you are vegan? and if it is, how do you do it? if it isn't, can anyone recommend any weight loss diets that are workable for vegans?
Yes, it is possible to have a "low-carb" vegan diet. I put the term low-carb in parentheses because it is still going to be a diet somewhat higher in carbs than a traditional low-carb diet. The new Atkins book lays out options for vegetarians and vegans. Basically, you are starting in a later phase of the diet and, as someone else pointed out, avoiding processed food and simple carbs. If I remember correctly, on the vegan version of Atkins you start in the Ongoing Weight Loss or Pre-Maintenance phase of the diet with a carb level somewhere around 100g/day of fiber-rich vegetable sources. I suggest that you read the book (A New Atkins for a New You) if it sounds like something you might be interested in.

Dave

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 8/03/10 = 244.5
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 235
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!

Last edited by davej323; 08-10-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: add stats
Old 08-11-2010, 03:06 AM
FitDay Member

Ron is right. The way to maximize weight loss on a vegan diet is to:

1. Make sure you create well-combined meals that will give you the full 9 amino acids. This usually means a legume (black beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, green beans, kidney beans) and a grain (corn, wheat, kamut, millet, rice, oats), but you can also do it with squash (winter is the most filling) and mushrooms.

2. Avoid things made with flour, and/or sugar/high fructose corn syrup. This includes everything like soda, bakery goods, crackers made with white flour, etc. But to maximize weight-loss any baked goods, even vegan ones made with organic flours and raw sugar, or maple syrup have too high a glycemic index.

3. Avoid foods high in fat, and cook with less fat. We need some fat to be healthy, but there's naturally occuring fat in foods like bananas, olives, and avocadoes. Some good substitutes for fat include vegetable broth made with good vegan boullion, and prune puree (in baked goods). You can save 100 calories every time you use 1 tbsp of oil to saute instead of 2.

Have fun!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

I agree that one should stay away from refined carbs, but not simple carbs in whole foods. Fruit has simple carbs, but if you avoid fruit, you will be avoiding a lot of fiber, and micronutrients.

What is your reasoning for going low carb and high protein? Are you trying to lose weight without working out? If so, you will have a nice looking body with an unhealthy engine. You should work out to maintain muscle mass and improve cardiorespiratory health. If you workout moderately, you don't need much protein at all to maintain muscle mass. Less than 10% of total calories. If you are working out very intensely, you might need up to 20% protein to build muscle mass. There are plenty of vegan bodybuilders consuming around 20% protein.

All that said, if must do a high protein diet, then a plant-based diet is best. You eliminate the cholesterol and a great deal of saturated fat. Plus, the protein in plants doesn't leach calcium from the bones.

If you want to lose more weight, eat whole foods and work out at a higher intensity.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

You really don't have to worry about combining plant proteins to form complete proteins. Current research indicates that as long as you eat a decently varied diet your body will take care of any adjustments it needs.

At the risk of sounding like a shill I'd suggest checking out the Engine 2 Diet. I've been following it since February and have lost 45 pounds and brought my Diabetes under very good control. My Doctor says it's gone, but I wouldn't go that far just yet.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Maybe this could be something for you:

have you checked out the raw diet yet?
I'm a vegetarian celiac (have gluten allergies), and I'm going vegan as we speak, wich means I'm going raw
This page is a great tool, and you should follow your nutrition intake closely.
Losing weight is all about changing your lifestyle, and not about a quick and easy fix, especially if you already have a "special" diet as we do. I tried the quick and easy, lost 22 lbs, and off course gained some of it back, which has served as motivation for me to find a way of living and eating that will change my food habits completely.
Here's a link to my new best friend when it comes to food, and delicious food as well. Dieting does'nt have to mean nutrition powder or boring foods with no taste:
Starting a Raw Food Diet