Notices

Any vegans or raw foodists?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Hey there! I've been eating as vegan as possible for almost two years. No meat for about nine. I'm trying to cut out a lot of processed food. As for a protein supplement, I use a product by Naturade, 'Soy-Free Veg Protein Booster'. It's sugar and soy free. I'm not really that worried about protein though; we get enough from a balanced diet. Also, I'd recommend any vegan cookbook by Sarah Kramer. Oh yeah, I also have a hemp protein powder on standby for when I run out of the Naturade stuff.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

I've been vegetarian with little dairy and egg for 8 months, and now gone vegan. I cannot believe it's this amazing, both physically, and mentally. What's hard is going against the raging madness that is our meat-centric society.
One of my standards is black beans, corn, diced cucumbers, bell peppers, diced tomatoes, celery and garbonzos--give or take what I have. It's always quick, I almost always have canned beans on hand, and frozen corn (gotta have some corn in it). I sometimes drizzle lemon juice on it.
As for raw foods, I have no appetite for raw during the cold winters, but try and have at least some raw veggies, and fruit, a day.
I use Alive! multivitamin shake bu Natures Way in OJ most mornings. It comes in either soy or pea/rice protein varities.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Vegetarian/Vegan

I am a vegetarian/vegan why do I say that because I eat NO-meat,pork,fish,eggs or dairy products but will have a bagel or slice of vegetable pizza from time to time so not a strict vegan by the meaning of the word but I won't touch any of the above foods.
I bought a rice protein from the vitamin shoppe and it is from NutriBiotic.It is a vegan rice protein.
It is Gluten free,GMO free,pesticide,herbicide & PCB free 90 servings to a 3 lb tub 55 calories and 12g per serving which equals 1 heaping Tbsp.
Hope this helps you and anyone else out.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

dnadjkovic, I'm a runner. I currently run 21-28 miles/week and I did my first half marathon this past October. I highly recommend Brendan Brazier's books--check out his site, brendanbrazier.com. He is a vegan triathlete with a heavy emphasis on foods geared towards expediting recovery.

You CAN be a runner/endurance athelete without eating meat/animal products... You just need the information and resources to do so. And it might not even have been a matter of protein--it could have been overall calories or some other unidentified issue. But definitely check out Brazier's site and books. His "Thrive in 30" video series--you can sign up for this at his site--is a great starting point.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default raw vegan

Hi, I'm a raw vegan - it's something I feel really passionate about as it has changed my life.
Started last December, have lost the 10lbs I've been trying to lose for years, look and feel fantastic! Can fit into skinny jeans - yay! Raw food is delicious. I'm tucking into a raw kale salad right now, with a scrummy avocado, lemon and garlic dressing and cherry tomatoes and kalamata olives (not raw, but nobody's perfect!).
Stopped worrying about protein, seem to get enough from lots of leafy green veggies, nuts and seeds. ( I steer clear of soya because it's so highly processed, and also the jury still seems to be out as to whether it does/doesn't prevent breast cancer). Lucas Rockwood of Yogabody does a good vegan protein powder if anyone's interested...great added to green smoothies. If anyone wants raw recipes, I'd be very happy to share!
Kate
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
FitDay Member

I am a runner and went high fat raw vegan 5 years ago. I just recently started 80-10-10 (811) which is low fat raw vegan. I eat lots of fruit and dark leafy greens. Occasionally I will have nuts/seeds. My energy is high and my digestion has never been better. I have IBS and digestion has always been a problem. It has been only a couple of weeks doing the 811, but I think it is the best choice for me. check out the site 30bananasaday.com if you are curious. ;-) or read Dr. Doug Graham's book 80-10-10.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM
FitDay Member

I was a vegetarian for many year but drifted into eating junk and not caring (lots of other life issues going on). I recently started the Engine 2 Diet, whole food, vegan, low fat, and have dropped about 10 pounds.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Hey, I just started the RAW way of life but am having to avoid a lot of things because of my migraine triggers. How are you doing?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dnadjkovic
Are any of you runners? I went vegan at the urging of a friend who was diagnosed with polymyocitis (body attacking large muscle groups, so constant pain). However, I have MAJOR allergies to almost the entire nut family. So my protein was limited to beans, soy and bioidentical manufactured protein.

Weight totally FELL off me - BUT... I am a 3-4x a week runner, and I started having MAJOR right knee pain and swelling. <snip>

Fat is important to joint health, if you are on a low fat diet it may help to increase your fat. Just be aware of how many calories you add. Hemp Hearts are a good source with lots of good fat, so is flax - or even just adding more olive oil or similar to your cooking. (assuming your consumption is low)

Last edited by James_Clark2; 03-20-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

Yay I'm so happy to see other vegans on here!!

I've been vegan for about a year, strict vegetarian for 2 years before that. I did not choose this lifestyle for the weight loss reasons, but it sure is a nice side effect!

I've lost 121 lbs in total, to date. I still have about 35 to my personal goal, and 50 to the weight my trainer/doctor would like.

I would love to share recipes. I love cooking and being inspired by what other vegans like to eat.

Hello vegans!

~ PJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.