Notices

how to fight food cravings guys?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Question how to fight food cravings guys?

i am on my 1st day to subscribe on the fit day web.and i just wanna ask since lots of you guys were already been through rough times on losing weight..thanx
Old 08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

I personally find eating smaller meals more frequently helps to balance your blood sugar levels throughout the day. I eat about 5 meals spaced out about every 3 hours or so. The other thing that will help is to work on eliminating sugar in your diet, you'd be amazed at how satisfying more natural sugars like those found in fruit will taste after you get rid of processed sugar from your eating. Adding more fibrous veggies will also help to create a feeling of fullness.

What plan are you following if any?
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I recently heard a talk about 'giving in to cravings' but it was about allowing 'forbidden foods' in the diet. If you know every day exactly how many calories are going into your mouth, you can give in to a craving. You can have those chips, fries, whatever. You just have to count exactly what the damage is.

After you get over being horrified by how many calories that was and what it does to your daily caloric intake (alcohol is a killer), then you can try to find some other way to have something like whatever is causing your problem.

Wine becomes a wine spritzer. If you count EXACTLY what you have ingested, then you realize you still have to limit yourself. Everything is about limits. Nothing is FREE, free of calories, free of consequences.

It's true that WW allows foods that have '0 points' but that is because no one ever dives in and overdoses on WW vegetable soup, for example! For one thing, it will give you the runs to do that. For another, it is the rare, rare person whose weakness is watery vegetable soup.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

I also read a book recently that says it is a mistake to make food 'forbidden'. Once you can't have something, you are liable to want it more. Or, considering the number of foods that become off limits (chips, cookies, ice cream, etc.), you're more likely to eat all of those things in one sitting and binge since you haven't been allowing yourself any of it. I guess this is more of a word of caution if you feel yourself slipping.

When possible, I just try to get out of the house. Go for a walk or do anything else to get me away from the food, especially when it's just my mouth that wants food and I'm not even hungry.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

I don't forbid myself any food, but I have a calorie goal everyday so if I eat something like a donut then I have to adjust my intake for the rest of the day. I also have educated myself so I understand the calorie consequences of my choices. (That keeps me to one donut instead of 3 that I used to eat.)

I also don't subscribe to the 'because it is fat free it is a healthy' rhetoric. I get my fat from sources like olive oil, nuts and from the whole foods I eat. I don't aim for a specific percentage of fat in my diet. Fat has been shown to have a satiating effect on hunger. I believe that is why many on low or no-fat diets have a problem with cravings. When I do feel hungry I eat about 10 unroasted almonds. I believe the fat in the almonds helps quell my hunger.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fatfreegay
i am on my 1st day to subscribe on the fit day web.and i just wanna ask since lots of you guys were already been through rough times on losing weight..thanx

i have a HUGE sweet tooth.. my nutritionist told me to drink water when i have a craving. most of the time we think we are hungry when we are actually thirsty.. for those times that i need something sweet i take some candy and put it in the freezer or put some grapes in the freezer.. frozen grapes are actually very good and fulfilling.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

I LOVE frozen grapes, and they've been very cheap around here lately. On food cravings, they are really hard to combat sometimes. I'm a hard core carbaholic, so I know a thing or two about how bad the cravings can get. I usually try and drink a bunch of water (like 24-32 ounces), either before I give in to a craving or while I'm indulging in a small snack. If that doesn't work right away I make myself wait 20 minutes before I can have another snack, usually by the time the 20 minutes are up, the craving is gone.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

I love frozen grapes too! They really are like mini popsicles and totally hit the spot when my sweet tooth kicks in. I also love cherries or some apple slices with natural peanut butter.

I am also a total carbaholic so I avoid sugar as much as possible and that helps me a lot. I pretty much don't have any sugar at all except on a special occasion and in that case I know that I will be fighting cravings for days afterwards so I go into it prepared to fight them. Drinking lots of water helps and so does exercising. I always feel less inclined to overeat when I have worked out.

Finally, it also helps to vent your temptations here on the forum and get support and encouragement from all of us.

Best of luck!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, Rose, since you invited it...The. Best. Ice. Cream. Ever. ...is in my freezer. I don't know what possessed me to buy it. The only things I have going for me is that it's reduced fat and that my teenage son is eating it pretty quickly!!! But it is really calling my name! Aaargh! Those half-cup servings are sooo small .

Great job on coming up with all those other ideas, ladies ! Thanks for being here!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Cutting refined sugary sweet foods out of my diet kills my cravings. I eat a diet specifically designed to combat food cravings/addiction.

If I need something sweet, I'll chew a piece of gum. A craving only lasts two minutes. If you can get through the two minutes victory will be yours.

Sometimes, if desperate, I will make a "milkshake" out of chocolate whey protein, a banana, some ice, and almond milk. That works pretty good. It feels like a decadent, frozen treat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.