Notices

Started the New Atkins 2 weeks ago...

Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
FitDay Member

Go Dave
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
The Atkins website has a plethora of articles touting the benefits of a ketogenic diet not only for weight loss but also for improving upon risk factors that are typically associated with type II diabetes and/or heart disease and metabolic syndrome. These are all published articles that have appeared in publications such as JAMA and NEJM, and completed at schools such as Stanford and Harvard. I will pretend for a moment that you are actually interested in an even-handed dialog that is free from a political agenda. Feel free to peruse the articles that are readily available right on the Atkins website here:
Atkins - Notable Research
You are believing the word of the salesman. Of course they are going to show you articles on the benefits. Do you think they will post articles that show the detriments?

If you do, then I have some ocean front property Colorado to sell you. LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

For crap sake...........can you not go find another thread to depress. I was feeling really good about myself, now I don't.......thanks coey coey......I'm wondering if you can't support someone why you just can't stop.......mY body, my diet choice is MY CHOICE AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN WHATSOEVER OF YOURS.

I want SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
You are believing the word of the salesman. Of course they are going to show you articles on the benefits. Do you think they will post articles that show the detriments?

If you do, then I have some ocean front property Colorado to sell you. LOL
Do you know better than the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association? Just as I suspected, you discredited those studies without even looking at them. How about looking at the diet of Inuit natives or the ketogenic diet that is used to prevent seizures in epileptic children? To roundly deny that there is any benefit to a ketogenic diet is, to put it kindly, a failure to look at all the facts. To automatically assume that people on the Atkins plan are less informed than you is nothing less than arrogant.

I don't even need those articles to prove the benefits of a whole food ketogenic diet because I am a living example of those benefits. In the time span of seven months I used a ketogenic diet to bring my blood glucose, A1C, triglycerides, and blood pressure all from very elevated to normal ranges. I also alleviated the need for medication for those items, and have lost nearly 20% of my body weight. My personal physician, who previously told me he didn't trust the Atkins plan, has become a believer in that plan, thanks to the results it has provided in my case. He went from telling me to work with a dietician to telling me to continue what I am doing now.

As I said before, your efforts at promoting a vegan agenda on a discussion board related to the Atkins plan is more disruptive than helpful. There are discussions related to vegan diets and I am sure your expertise would be much appreciated in those discussions. Obviously, you are an argumentative person, but I submit that there are forums much more appropriate for such debate. You are not likely to convert any of the omnivores on this board, but you are likely to irritate us.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by haganeedle06
For crap sake...........can you not go find another thread to depress. I was feeling really good about myself, now I don't.......thanks coey coey......I'm wondering if you can't support someone why you just can't stop.......mY body, my diet choice is MY CHOICE AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONCERN WHATSOEVER OF YOURS.

I want SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am providing you with support. I am sorry you just don't wish to see it that way.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by davej323
In the time span of seven months I used a ketogenic diet to bring my blood glucose, A1C, triglycerides, and blood pressure all from very elevated to normal ranges.
And here is the problem with normal. Everyone wants to be normal, and in the US, normal is overweight and in poor health. According to the Framington heart study, 80% of all heart attacks happen to people in the "normal range" of 150-200 total cholesterol. If you want to be "normal" in the United States, then you are on the right diet. If you want to be healthy, you are on the wrong diet.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

OP, just as an fyi, you can always set a particular poster on "ignore." Go to the User CP tab, click on "edit ignore list," and enter the name of any poster whose posts you do not want visible to you.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
And here is the problem with normal. Everyone wants to be normal, and in the US, normal is overweight and in poor health. According to the Framington heart study, 80% of all heart attacks happen to people in the "normal range" of 150-200 total cholesterol. If you want to be "normal" in the United States, then you are on the right diet. If you want to be healthy, you are on the wrong diet.
The AHA recommendation for "normal" is actually less than 150, not 150-200. I dropped my total cholesterol from 309 down to 99...using the Atkins diet!

In fact, let's bring some relevance to this conversation. My total triglycerides are 99 (down from 309). My glucose level stays around 110 (down from 135). My last A1C measurement was 6.0 (down from 6.6). My resting blood pressure is typically low, somewhere around 110/60 (down from 150/100). Apparently you know better than the experts who suggest that I have substantially reduced my risk of heart disease and have completely wiped out the pre-diabetes I previously suffered from. Please tell me what those readings should be.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

CoeyCoey..........support is when you help people, not constantly want to tell them that their diet is wrong.

cjohnson.......I was actually getting ready to start a thread to help me ignore someone but cancelled it. Thank you for that information.......
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
FitDay Member

One wonders why CoeyCoey feels the need to add his tuppence worth..
Not being a big part of this thread, reading it from beginning to end makes me laugh out loud. People and diets are like people and politics or religion, each thinks their way is the only one and if only others would wake up and see it...
I am a low carb convert, it is what works for me, the frail, spiritual vegan does not ring my bell ( that ought to get Coey x 2 ) moving.. but i don't care what others think is good for them, good on them for trying something new.
To Hageneedle..go for it, see if this is a good food plan for yourself, experiment and keep an open mind, it sure works for me, I am with Dave on this one.xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.