Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Evelyn,

They do tell you what high a protein diet is in a round-about way. They state that daily fat intake should be less than 35% of total calories, and 7% from saturated fat.

It is difficult to say at what level of protein intake people start increasing their risk of disease. Studies have shown that excess protein intake, specifically animal protein, does increase risk of disease, but no ethical scientist would conduct a study of people on a high protein diet to see at what level is the turning point for certain individuals. There are so many additional factors as well such as a persons activity level, the type of protein they consume, how nutrient dense their food is, etc.

A study that was done 8 years ago compared a low fat diet(calorie restricted), a medium-low fat diet(calorie restricted), and a medium fat diet, and a high fat diet(calorie restricted) and found that the weight loss of the medium fat diet was the smallest. They refer to the weight loss among those individuals to be statistically insignificant, yet health markers were negatively impacted. The high fat diet actually had a higher weight loss that the medium-low fat diet, but at a price to health. The low fat and medium-low fat diets showed weight loss with one slightly more and one slightly less than the high fat diet, but health markers showed significant improvement.

Here is a link to that study.
The Effect of High-, Moderate-, and Low-Fat Diets on Weight Loss and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors - Fleming - 2007 - Preventive Cardiology - Wiley Online Library

The study will give you an idea of the fat and protein ratios.

There are many many studies that show an increase in health problems the more you increase fat and protein. So, why no just go the other way? A low-fat, whole-foods, plant-based diet has proven time and time again to have the best combination of weight loss and health. It is also better for the planet and the animals as well.
CoeyCoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Default Peta

And suddenly the PETA agenda that has been polluting the Atkins discussions has become abundantly clear.
__________________
Dave
___________________________________________

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
10% by New Year challenge starting weight = 251
latest weight 10/25/10 = 241.5
10% by New Year challenge goal = 226
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
davej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej323 View Post
And suddenly the PETA agenda that has been polluting the Atkins discussions has become abundantly clear.
That is known as Ad Hominem.

I am not affiliated with PETA in anyway, and I actually dislike them in many ways. Simply because I show empathy for animals and do not condone raising them for food or other resources, does not make any of the information I provided less true or less relevant. I care for all creatures, and I can't love a dog and not a chicken. It pains me to see any animal in pain, including humans, which is why I promote a diet based on health and fitness, not merely weight loss.

Please try to keep this discussion mature and based on relevant facts instead of baseless and ignorant personal attacks.
CoeyCoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post
That is known as Ad Hominem.

I am not affiliated with PETA in anyway, and I actually dislike them in many ways. Simply because I show empathy for animals and do not condone raising them for food or other resources, does not make any of the information I provided less true or less relevant. I care for all creatures, and I can't love a dog and not a chicken. It pains me to see any animal in pain, including humans, which is why I promote a diet based on health and fitness, not merely weight loss.

Please try to keep this discussion mature and based on relevant facts instead of baseless and ignorant personal attacks.
I might invite you to keep the discussion relevant as well. I would like to submit that the general purpose of these discussion boards is for all of us to provide encouragement for each other, but you have been using the Atkins discussions as a sounding board for your personal vegan agenda. There are plenty of discussions related to vegetarian/vegan diets in which your advice would probably be very welcomed. Those of us who choose to follow the (non-vegan/vegetarian version of) Atkins plan are familiar with the accusations of health risks associated with that plan. They are well-documented and addressed in the books, and unless someone specifically airs a personal concern about his/her own experience with this plan, your unsolicited discouragement on a board that is specifically related to Atkins is probably out of place.

P.S. I love animals too.....they taste great!
__________________
Dave
___________________________________________

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
10% by New Year challenge starting weight = 251
latest weight 10/25/10 = 241.5
10% by New Year challenge goal = 226
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
davej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Dave,

If someone stated they where on a plant-based Atkins diet of nuts and grains only, I would discourage that just as much as a meat based Atkins because it is unhealthy.

"Those of us who choose to follow the (non-vegan/vegetarian version of) Atkins plan are familiar with the accusations of health risks associated with that plan."

I would prefer to assume that people don't fully understand the risks. If they fully understood the risks of the Atkins diet and new there were better ways without the risks, why would anyone follow the Atkins diet?
CoeyCoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5
Default

CoeyCoey,
I feel sorry for the original poster who was excited to have had a good start to a diet and could have used a little encouragement and advice on a path already chosen. If you'd like to trash Atkins, start your own thread where all your friends can join in and others can ignore you.
annievaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by annievaughn View Post
CoeyCoey,
I feel sorry for the original poster who was excited to have had a good start to a diet and could have used a little encouragement and advice on a path already chosen. If you'd like to trash Atkins, start your own thread where all your friends can join in and others can ignore you.
I am sorry, but I empathize too much with people to let them harm their bodies without saying something.

If someone came on this board claiming they were taking Fen-Phen, would you encourage them?
CoeyCoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post
Dave,

If someone stated they where on a plant-based Atkins diet of nuts and grains only, I would discourage that just as much as a meat based Atkins because it is unhealthy.

"Those of us who choose to follow the (non-vegan/vegetarian version of) Atkins plan are familiar with the accusations of health risks associated with that plan."

I would prefer to assume that people don't fully understand the risks. If they fully understood the risks of the Atkins diet and new there were better ways without the risks, why would anyone follow the Atkins diet?
Let's assume for a moment that you don't have a vegan agenda and are genuinely concerned about the health risks associated with the Atkins plan. Thank you for your concern.

The Atkins website has a plethora of articles touting the benefits of a ketogenic diet not only for weight loss but also for improving upon risk factors that are typically associated with type II diabetes and/or heart disease and metabolic syndrome. These are all published articles that have appeared in publications such as JAMA and NEJM, and completed at schools such as Stanford and Harvard. I will pretend for a moment that you are actually interested in an even-handed dialog that is free from a political agenda. Feel free to peruse the articles that are readily available right on the Atkins website here:
Atkins - Notable Research

There is a lot more supporting research available via google search, but since your contention is that people following the Atkins plan are uninformed about the risks they are taking, kindly accept these articles as evidence that Atkins followers are well-informed about the benefits of our eating plan and move on to a vegan discussion board where your advice is more relevant.

Thanks.
__________________
Dave
___________________________________________

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
10% by New Year challenge starting weight = 251
latest weight 10/25/10 = 241.5
10% by New Year challenge goal = 226
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
davej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post
I am sorry, but I empathize too much with people to let them harm their bodies without saying something.

If someone came on this board claiming they were taking Fen-Phen, would you encourage them?
Of course not. On the same token, most of us know that people use these discussion boards for encouragement and agenda-free advice. Since I would have nothing encouraging to say about any diet pills, let alone fen-phen, I would stay out of such a discussion.

You have come to these Atkins discussion boards out of love for animals, fine. Recognize the fact that vegan advice is most likely going to fall on deaf ears and meet with a sour welcome on such a board. Accordingly, it is serving as more of a disruption than helpful contribution. If your purpose is to stir up an argument, congratulations. If your purpose is to give helpful advice, I say again that there are discussion boards on this site where you will find a more receptive audience and do more genuine good for people that are truly interested in your expertise on vegan diet.
__________________
Dave
___________________________________________

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
10% by New Year challenge starting weight = 251
latest weight 10/25/10 = 241.5
10% by New Year challenge goal = 226
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
davej323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8
Default

Just so you know.............my body........I CAN DO WHAT I WANT!!.....I DON'T NEED YOUR CONCERN OR DO I WANT IT.

On another note We raise our own BEEF!!
__________________
Start Atkins August 2, 2010--174
2 weeks: 8/15/10--167.6
haganeedle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2