Notices

Anybody doing slim fast??

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Anybody doing slim fast??

Hi there everyone in must wondering if any members follow or have followed the slim fast 3,2,1, diet? Im on my 3rd day and im finding it ok so far!
Ive since lost 4 and half stone in last 2 years with weightwatchers but since leaving due to inconvenience i havent lost anymore. The good news is though that i havent put any on.
I know that i wont be able to stay on slim fast for the rest of my life but i need a boost. Ive made huge changes in how i eat and its now second nature to make healthy choices. Ive just been falling off track for a long time and seem to be stuck on the scales.
Anyway if anybody has tried and lost some weight or has any tips or advice then all will be welcome.
Thanks-Tracey

Weight before- 16st 10lb
Weight now-12st 3lbs
Goal weight- 10stone
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

I hesitated before responding for 2 reasons; 1. I have never used the Slim Fast products and 2. If it works for you I don't want to be negative. That said, I looked at the nutrition information for the Slim Fast products and I was not impressed. Both the protein shakes (Body Fortress) and protein bars (Pure Protein) I use have more protein, less carbs, and less fat with similar calories than the Slim Fast products.

If you are looking for advice here is my take; Since you have been able to maintain your previous weight loss why not look at just make some minor adjustments to your current eating and exercise habits? That way you don't go on a diet, you make lifestyle changes that you can perpetuate. Log what you eat for a week or two then look at ways to tweak your food. If you make your food log public then add the link to your signature you can post it and get feedback from others here on Fitday with suggestions.

If Slim Fast, or any other diet, is working for you then use it. Remember that any advice you get here has to work for you, your schedule, and your lifestyle.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

Everyone in my family has used Slim Fast at one time or another in the past. Every one of us lost weight while using it and every one of us gained it all back when we stopped. My entire family are yo yo dieters. I am the only one who has stopped the yo yo with a permanent change in my lifestyle.

Unless you are prepared to follow it for the rest of your life, you are not likely to maintain your weight loss. If you simply eat for the weight in which you want to be, then your body will become that weight.

I suggest focusing on mostly raw, micronutrient dense foods. If you focus on micronutrient dense foods, you will find your body craves food less and it will be easier to eat less macronutrients.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 AM
FitDay Member

I actually disagree with the previous 2 comments. I've done Slim Fast the first 2 weeks of my diet and lost about 7 pounds (yes there was also water among the 7 lb lost).
When you can't seem to be able to start a diet because you are obsessed with food, drinking a shake for lunch actually helps a lot, and it also help to reduce the size of your stomach from all your binges, so that when you go on to "solid" food, you won't eat as much.
HOWEVER, I agree with rpmcduff that there are better shakes, with less sugar (but usually more fat) and less calories also. I personally like the Atkins shakes, they have 160 cal and 2g net carbs; they taste better also in my opinion.
In summary i think slim-fast shakes helped me A LOT in starting my current diet (I am 4 weeks into it right now and haven't regained anything of what I lost during slim-fast). I was doing `1 slim-fast a day+3 snacks of 100-cal each + 500-cal dinner.
Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:05 AM
FitDay Member

vsabino,

I never said it won't help lose weight. What I said is that it is not a long term solution. Anything in your diet that you are using to lose weight in which you don't intend to keep doing for the rest of your life will not help you maintain that weight. If you want to be thin, you have to eat like a thin person. Don't eat like an overweight person trying to lose weight. I did that for the first 32 years of my life and I kept gaining more weight after each "diet" attempt.

Simple calorie restriction is a poor way to lose weight. If you aren't eating a healthy diet, then restricting the calories of that diet with portion control means you restrict your micronutrients even more. Instead of restricting the amount of food you eat, it is far better to replace it with a food that has more micronutrients and less macronutrients.

Why not make a smoothie with some bananas, strawberries, and spinach. It will taste better, have fewer calories, less fat, no cholesterol, more fiber, more nutrients, and more volume.

An 8 ounce serving of slimfast has 200 calories with 35 from fat. The above mention smoothie will have 161 calories with 8 calories from fat, and be around 16 ounces!

Just some food for thought
Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 AM
FitDay Member

I agree but sometimes what we miss is the motivation to start dieting, losing weight and become healthy, and there are some things that just make you start, without which you would have continued eating crap! It can be the idea of a "slim-fast" regimen, it can be a visit to a store that you love, it can be anything.
The slim-fast shake is probably not ideal in terms of composition but if it helps getting into the whole idea, why not? We all know we used to feel when we wanted to start eating less and better and just couldn't find the motivation... so frustrating!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Of course I agree that it's not a long-term solution (I had it for 2 weeks only until I felt I could go on without it) but it helps getting started! You see results on your scale and keep going with whatever way of eating you decide to go for =)
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
We all know we used to feel when we wanted to start eating less and better and just couldn't find the motivation... so frustrating!
Oh yes. I know that frustration. However, I can now eat 2 to 3 times the food I did when I was overweight. I stuff myself 3 or 4 times a day, plus snacks, and I don't gain weight. It isn't about how much you each, it is about what you eat. Yesterday I bought a box full of peaches and ate ten of them in one sitting! LOL I could barely breath after that. That is less calories than two servings of slimfast.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

I agree CoeyCoey,

When I first began eating right, I noticed how much MORE food I was consuming and how much FEWER calories were coming in.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Slimfast

I don't know if anyone has posted about Slimfast, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success replacing two meals a day with them and eating a normal dinner? Ofcourse eating low calorie snacks in between. I am trying to dedicate to this diet because it is so easy for me just to grab one and get out the door. It doesn't require a lot of cooking or preparation. I am not a huge fan of vegetables either. I love fruit, but I won't eat veggies unless they are soup or something. Slimfast seemed one of the easier ways to go. Is it worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.