Notices

Whole-food vegan diet!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM
FitDay Member

I'm trying a detox diet which is basically made up of whole food vegan as you are doing. I am supposed to cut out meat, caffeine, dairy, preservatives and wheat... drink lots of water and herbal teas and eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables and home made soups. Please let me know how long you guys took transitioning and removing meat from your diet... was it a slow process? I'm asking because today I tried starting the diet and became very ill... did this happen to you guys? Any advice? Thanks!

P.S. Congrats on giving your family such a great lifestyle and being such a good role model for your kids
Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey

Nuts are excellent foods, but they are high in fat and calories. A handful of nuts for me is easily half a days calories, and I am still hungry.
Half a days calories? I would say a handful (maybe small handful) is about 2 oz of nuts, which is about 350 kcals. Even a large handful, 3 oz, would be 525. How few calories a day are you eating?

Full disclosure: I think nuts are great, hehe.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

hi guys

I'm quite new to this dieting thing, so I'm trying to find out first what works best for me. I have about 35lb to lose, the first 14lb fell off quite easily and then it stopped. From this week on I decided to try to be as much vegan - vegetarian as possible. It's about totally removing eggs and meat from the diet, and limiting dairy as much as practically possible (like, the raisins in my musli are covered in milk powder but i still eat it, but use soya milk instead of regular semi skimmed).

BTW, flexitarianism LOL that's this group of guys who wish they were vegetarians but are not willing to give up the steak. Kinda funny.
Anyway, are here on fitday any vegetarians-vegans? I'd love to exchange recipes and tips.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Love this thread!

I am always fascinated by vegan eating, especially after listening to a lot of it from Robin Quivers on the Howard Stern show. I ate vegan from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon as a trial. I actually really enjoyed it. I usually take vitamins and track all that here, but eating vegan I was getting most of my micronutrients from just the food i was eating. I love vegetables but I also love meat and fish. I think I could go to like 80% vegan or maybe even vegetarian. Vegan is *really* hard because so much has even a little animal product in it. Maybe it's one of those cases where it's better to go most of the way rather than all the way.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

What do you put in your coffee instead of milk? I heard that soya milk tends to curdle in hot drinks, but I have no experience with things like rice/almond/coconut milk. I am slowly weaning my family off meat, we eat way more of it than it's healthy, if there is no meat, it ain't main meal. I'm cooking a lot of vegetarian sausages, veggie mince, stir frys, I buy things like coleslaw and flavoured soya milk.
HankG, what if we start this new thing, like vegan Tuesdays would you be up to that? We would eat vegan on certain days of the week and then we could share experience and tips. TBH, I feel much better when my protein intake is around 70-80g a day, rather than at 130g like I have on days when I eat meat. It's surprising how much protein we get from other foods.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by MunaAmin
HankG, what if we start this new thing, like vegan Tuesdays would you be up to that? We would eat vegan on certain days of the week and then we could share experience and tips. TBH, I feel much better when my protein intake is around 70-80g a day, rather than at 130g like I have on days when I eat meat. It's surprising how much protein we get from other foods.
I think that's a great idea!