FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   How many carbs/prot/fat is best? (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/1671-how-many-carbs-prot-fat-best.html)

vsabino 08-03-2010 05:39 PM

How many carbs/prot/fat is best?
 
I am 5' 4" tall and I weigh 180 lb. I need to lose at least 40 lb I hope in 6 months. I am seated all day and don't exercise much. What ratio of carbs/prot/fat do you think would work best to achieve my goal?



Starting weight: 187
Current weight: 180
Total lost: 7
Total left: 36
Goal Weight: 144
Started Fitday: July 19, 2010
Total Weeks: 2
Goal Date: December 19, 2010

MyFitDay Log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...a_User=vsabino

redngreen76 08-03-2010 07:54 PM

I am currently reading The Primal Blueprint for the 2nd time. It recommends staying at about 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs, with carbs coming from veggies and fruit. I highly recommend this book. I know conventional wisdom tells us fats and especially saturated fats are bad, but that's actually not true. Google it and check it out.

Melfawn 08-04-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsabino (Post 17557)
I am 5' 4" tall and I weigh 180 lb. I need to lose at least 40 lb I hope in 6 months. I am seated all day and don't exercise much. What ratio of carbs/prot/fat do you think would work best to achieve my goal?

I'm losing about 5 lb per week by eating about 1400 calories per day, carbs below 30-35 and then only in the form of green vegies. I don't worry about the fat but I also don't add any fat. The only fat in my diet is in the meats and cheese.

I don't exercise at all.

.

vsabino 08-04-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melfawn (Post 17604)
I'm losing about 5 lb per week by eating about 1400 calories per day, carbs below 30-35 and then only in the form of green vegies. I don't worry about the fat but I also don't add any fat. The only fat in my diet is in the meats and cheese.

I don't exercise at all.

.

How much do you weigh and what's your goal? 5 lb a week sounds interesting, but I don't think I could survive to the 1st phase of the atkins, with <20 g of carbs a day. 30-35 g carbs may work though. Thanks!

Jennybeeb 08-04-2010 01:43 AM

I follow the Zone Diet, and I range between 99-108 carbs per day.

You could calculate your requirements with the calculator on the Zone web site:
Zone Diet | Calculators

The ratio of the Zone diet is 40/30/30

Good Luck! ;)

Melfawn 08-04-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsabino (Post 17608)
How much do you weigh and what's your goal? 5 lb a week sounds interesting, but I don't think I could survive to the 1st phase of the atkins, with <20 g of carbs a day. 30-35 g carbs may work though. Thanks!

I've already lost 105 pounds, but still have something like 85 to go. My goal is 130. The induction phase is rough, but I guarantee that by dropping below 20 you get the carbs out of your system, so that by the end of week 2, the cravings are gone. It's hard but so worth it.

redngreen76 08-04-2010 01:50 PM

Good job Melfawn!! You can totally do it- especially if you've already lost 105 lbs? That's awesome!


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2