Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Okay. Okay. This Low-Carb Diet... >

Okay. Okay. This Low-Carb Diet...

Community
Notices

Okay. Okay. This Low-Carb Diet...

Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Okay. Okay. This Low-Carb Diet...

I have read a lot of info and advice here and elsewhere related to this, and I am going to try it. The bad thing is (right now) we don't have a lot of food choices in the house because we are getting ready to leave for vacation. So, keep that part in mind.

This is what I have had so far today:
Breakfast
2 boiled eggs
6 ounces 1% milk
1 scoop protein powder

Lunch
Sweet & Spicy Tuna
Whole Wheat Bun

Supper
3 scrambled eggs
2 pieces of cheese

Water all day.

Calories:960 Carbs:50 Protein:103 Fat:42

I will probably have another protein shake before bed.
Now, I know the fruits and veggies are really lacking, but that is the way it is for RIGHT NOW.

Now I have a few questions:
1)Low carb is better. I get that because of insulin spike, etc., but what about all the saturated fat and sodium in the foods I have eaten today?
2)I have only consumed about 1,000 calories and I feel fine. But that is nowhere near what I need to have. What do I do?
3)It seems like all I am eating is eggs. I do love them though.
4)Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there. I have done low-carb in the past with success. I did the South Beach diet. I bought the book, and went online, and found both very helpful. There are other books out there, too. There is a good list in the book that tells you what to eat/ not to eat. It's based on the glycemic index.

I know you're short on fresh produce, but that's probably too many eggs in one day.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM
FitDay Member

Yeh. I know about the eggs. I will have cottage cheese, yogurt, and stuff like that later on. And plenty of fruits and veggies.

Thanks.

Any advice anyone.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

I too love eggs, but have tried to buy the eggbeaters (or similar off brand) because of the cholesterol/sat fat content in whole eggs. Then I get to eat a lot more of them for way less calories!

I do also love tuna but try to buy the low sodium variety to keep my sodium content down. I add things like spicy mustard to make it more fun. I also love canned chicken, add a little salsa and some black beans to make a more complete meal.

Speaking of beans, they're my carb substitute. They're high in fiber and have protein, but I'm not scarfing down a whole loaf of bread in order to get my carbs in.

No veggies in the house? What about in the freezer, any chance there's a package of frozen broccoli or something in there? I put mine in a bowl with a little water and cook for a couple of minutes to steam the veggies. Great snack!

Anyway, I guess that's all I have for now. I'd say you probably do need way more calories, but it might depend on whether you're working out too or not. Do what feels good for you on a particular day and don't let people cut you up for it!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

Some advice…
Don't be afraid of the saturated fat. Contrary to what you have read it is not bad for you. Just try for eggs and meat from local farms if possible.

Listen to your body. If you are hungry eat. If not don't. I don't count calories as that adds undo stress and really accomplishes very little. Focus on quality and not quantity. limiting carbs will reduce your appetite anyway.

As you cut out processed carbs you'll want to replace them with quality fat. I prefer avocado, coconut oil/milk, butter, heavy whipping cream and animal fats. Stay away from all processed oils.

I find eating on vacation to not be that hard. I just say to myself if it's processed don't eat it. Period. Makes it easy when you don't have a lot of choices. You are much better off with a bunch of eggs over a few days than the "healthy" whole grain choices that might present themselves to you.

Good luck and enjoy the vacation!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

I like eggs too, but have to be careful with them as I'm borderline allergic to the whites. I tolerate them well enough if I don't eat them more often then every other day. So to make it seem like more, I make omelets (with canned mushrooms or frozen spinach or maybe some steamed broccoli), or boil them and make either egg salad or deviled eggs. Prepared mustard is actually pretty good for you, great for leg cramps. If you're concerned with the fat, use just the whites, or you can use one whole egg and a couple of whites for a lower fat version.

Yes you certainly need to up your fruits & veggies and your intake, but what you ate today is fairly close to what I eat when trying to break through a plateau (minus the whole wheat bun). I think for a couple of days it's not a big problem, but you don't want to starve before leaving town, cause then you might cut too lose and gain it all back while you're away.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
FitDay Member

Unless you have pre-existing cholesterol problems I wouldn't worry about cholesterol from eggs. Your body makes its own cholesterol but when you eat more it slows down its production. The end result is that it all balances out in the end, and your cholesterol stays pretty much even throughout the week.

Saturated fat is another one of those things you shouldn't worry about. Both the cholesterolemic effects of saturated fat as well as the cholesterol itself are harmless when you go low-carb, because you're not damaging your arteries with all the sugar anymore. Lower damage means lower cholesterol floating around in your blood. It also means more cholesterol is free to get turned into testosterone, which helps build muscle and so on and so forth.

My only comment as to your diet is to eat more vegetables (leafy greens, multi-colored nightshades, cabbages(broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc.)). Don't treat them (mentally, anyways) as carbs, treat them as vitamin-loaded freebies.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898
1)Low carb is better. I get that because of insulin spike, etc., but what about all the saturated fat and sodium in the foods I have eaten today?
2)I have only consumed about 1,000 calories and I feel fine. But that is nowhere near what I need to have. What do I do?
3)It seems like all I am eating is eggs. I do love them though.
4)Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
I don't worry about saturated fat or sodium. My cholesterol always goes down when I keep my carbs under 40gm per day. Same with sodium. Since the food I'm eating is not processed, I know my sodium is *way* below what it was when I was not low carbing.

You do need to eat more. Studies show that women who eat 1200 calories per day lose more than those who eat less. It has to do with the metabolism. Yes, you are eating too many eggs. How about chicken salad (made with mayo), a salad with cubes of mozzarella or cheddar cheese? In the freezer section you can buy Gorton's fish filets and frozen vegies that heat quickly in a microwave.

I keep thin pan steaks and chicken tenderloins in the freezer which are easy to thaw and saute with mushrooms.

It's important to have your vegies. Also, instead of regular milk, you might try almond milk. Regular milk has close to 20 carbs (I think) in 1 cup whereas almond milk (the unsweetened kind) has only about 3.