Notices

Dangers of the Atkins Diet!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rlynn456
Just knowing that the creator of the atkins diet died from a heart attack as a result of the diet scares me away from trying it. It just doesnt sound very healthy.
AGAIN! You and the OP need to do some more research. Another BS story started by the militant Vegans.

Let me google that for you

I don't follow Atkins.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CoeyCoey
Any diet with phases is a fad diet. Lifestyle change is something you do for life and not just a phase.

And I am sure you all know better than the American Heart Association when it comes to dieting, eh?

High-Protein Diets
The AHA position isn't based on the science. Or rather... it has failed to catch up to research. At one point in time research supported the superiority of high-carb diets with regard to healthy blood pressure and lipid levels. This was during the age of McDonald's (the 80s and 90s) so of course a high-carb, whole foods diet represented a significant improvement.

More recent research suggests that it's the carbs that provoke increased fat storage rather than dietary fat itself. It would make sense to be weary, then, of taking in too many carbs. To make up calories you'd have to complement your diet with more fat and protein. Research has also shown the acceptability of higher protein and fat levels within the context of a whole foods diet.

Of course the AHA can't do an about face on the diet they've been promoting for the last 20 years, even if science is in the way. Doing so would mean losing credibility. Plus, they know that most laypeople don't read the science, so they can continue to say whatever they want.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
FitDay Member

I think that whatever works for someone is the diet they need to be on. Nothing wrong at all with atkins as it is similar to what i eat only a lot less red meat for me. But i have chicken and fish about 3 times a week for dinner and 3 or 4 cans of fish during lunches during the week and then lots and lots of veggies and fruit. And that works for me.

But what works for me won't work for everyone else. I am very amused by the naysayers about the atkins. With the objective to be healthier and hopefully lose weight to, how can anyone put down the diet after so many people have improved their health? Like the days when we ate fast food and junk food we were healthy or something!!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
FitDay Member

Just knowing that the creator of the atkins diet died from a heart attack as a result of the diet scares me away from trying it. It just doesnt sound very healthy.
It is these comments here that irritate me to no end. Obviously you have not read, researched or considered anything that has been previously written.....

Those of us that have read the books, done the plan, succeeded and failed to try again have given plenty of evidence, factual information and you continue to quote known misnomers................

I would feel embarrassed if I were you. I just don't know how people can come in a public forum and say some of the most ill-informed stuff and feel good about saying it.................

If eating protein, natural fats, lots of veggies, raw nuts, some fruits, grains and dairy is going to give any of us a heart attack...........again we are all doomed to be in bad health.

You are looking to start some type of debate or argument. I have posted several times what you eat on Atkins, which is far from being unhealthy........

Last edited by Primal-Lioness; 09-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

...and you know this is fact because....?
You were his personal physician?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
I think the dangers of the Arkins come if you prolong phase I longer than 2 weeks. Any diet that is so restrictive of any one nutritional component should not be prolonged for more than 2 weeks. Think about the Scarsdale too, so high in proteins and so low in sugars, carbs and added fat, it would kill your kidneys if you did it for longer than 2 weeks.
Atkins does not sound healthy to me either, but I think that 2 weeks of any diets cannot hurt anyone (even 2 weeks of total starvation wouldn't kill you).

May I ask, if you are not doing Atkins, what type of low carb are you following? I was doing Atkins but wondering if I should modify it since I have been on it for about 6 months. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
FitDay Member

This sounds like a very reasonable way to live. I have tried Atikins and did well on it, but it did stress my kidneys. So, I am trying to do a modified version and cut out or severly restrict my use of wheat products, gluten and things like that. Although on the Atkins diet my cholesterol was the lowest it has ever been. Now it is through the roof again and I don't eat alot of meat or greasy foods. Well, just thought I'd say your post was very informative, thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pavanneh
This sounds like a very reasonable way to live. I have tried Atikins and did well on it, but it did stress my kidneys. So, I am trying to do a modified version and cut out or severly restrict my use of wheat products, gluten and things like that. Although on the Atkins diet my cholesterol was the lowest it has ever been. Now it is through the roof again and I don't eat alot of meat or greasy foods. Well, just thought I'd say your post was very informative, thanks.
The reason your cholesterol was lower on Atkins is due to the fact that since you were eating foods that contain cholesterol, your liver was manufacturing less cholesterol.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default People shouldn't believe some stuff

Dr atkins didnt die from following this diet and that is a very stupid myth, perpetuated by people who dont believe in low carbs.

My friend has followed this diet for over 10 years and her doctor has never been happier with her latest health check

As for him dying to due this diet maybe people should do more research before listening to people who want to knock this diet

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages.
Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".

Was Atkins Overweight?
William Leith, an writer who interviewed him around the time of his cardiac arrest stated that "he looks to be just under 6 feet tall and around 200 lbs – not skinny, not thin, but definitely not fat." A report from Atkins Nutritionals states that he played tennis competitively and that his weight was frequently checked, and in the years before his death was below 195, and six feet tall. And a medical report at the time of his admission to the hospital, which was later made public by his widow, states that he was 195 lbs on admission to the hospital.
Atkins' Death
On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. He lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, where he spent two weeks in intensive care. His body deteriorated rapidly and he suffered massive organ failure. During this time, his body apparently retained an enormous amount of fluid, and his weight at death was recorded at 258 pounds. His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".
Following this, a Nebraska doctor known to be anti-Atkins, and associated with the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, requested Dr. Atkins' medical records, which should not have been released, but which mistakenly were sent. The Medical Examiner's report had a hand-written note that Atkins had a history of myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure, and hypertension (written "h/o MI, CHF, HTN"). The above Committee made much of this and began the rumor that Atkins had "died of his own diet". The misconceptions remain to this day.

The year following his death, his widow released a statement taking what she called "unscrupulous individuals" to task for spreading falsehoods about her husband.

Apparently, those individuals are still having a measure of success.

* In March 2007, Newsweek magazine published a correction stating, "An earlier version of this story contained an inaccurate account of events surrounding the death of Dr. Robert Atkins. Newsweek regrets the error."
Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM
FitDay Member

I disagree with this completely. There are multiple tribal communities in the world who subsist on very high protein diets, and have none of the diseases or problems that "civilized" countries have (IE, no diabetes, cancer, heart disease). They also don't have any of the problems associated with the Atkins diet by modern medicine.

Give Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes a read, he has researched and explained over 100 years worth of medical experiments and research in the health, diet and weight loss fields, and comes to a startling conclusion that really changed the way I think about food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.