Notices

Dangers of the Atkins Diet!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Pixie5477
Wow... I should probably keep my mouth shut, but I think everyone is being a little harsh on littlegreenone... First of all, I was on the carb diet for 9 months and it affected my memory and learning processes for a long time after I quit. I'm not saying that would happen to everyone, but it happened to me.

Secondly, I believe that each person has different nutrition and diet needs. There is not one single way to do this correctly. We have to follow our instincts, see what works best with our OWN body.

Third... This is simply a forum. Ideas are shared and each and every individual has the responsibility to interpret what they read and reasearch the facts. Never believe everything you read. That's ridiculous. Especially when it comes to your own body. Everyone is different.

Personally, I have enjoyed hearing different viewpoints and suggestions. I do my research ane experiment to see what works for me. In the end, my diet / lifestyle is a mix and match of many different suggestions and ideas.
While I believe that there are different things that work for different people, i would never come on a public forum and state all of the so-called dangers of an eating plan without having researched it thoroughly first.

I don't have a habit of stating stuff unless I know what I am talking about beforehand. That is the same no matter if I am speaking to someone in person or if I am speaking to someone through and internet forum.

Some people just listen to what the media spouts and go with it.

I don't believe the media. I no longer do Atkins myself, but I believe in the process. I also firmly believe that anyone that has had adverse affects from "doing Atkins" also did not work the plan correctly.

If eating protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, some dairy, natural fats and some limited whole grains makes someone have adverse affects, then we are all doomed because that is the basis of an all natural eating plan.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Just knowing that the creator of the atkins diet died from a heart attack as a result of the diet scares me away from trying it. It just doesnt sound very healthy.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

rlynn456 wrote:
Just knowing that the creator of the atkins diet died from a heart attack as a result of the diet scares me away from trying it. It just doesnt sound very healthy.
snopes.com: Dr. Robert Atkins' Death
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atk...tkinsdeath.htm

I am not a proponent of the Atkins diet.

Last edited by yauncin; 08-06-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

I think the dangers of the Arkins come if you prolong phase I longer than 2 weeks. Any diet that is so restrictive of any one nutritional component should not be prolonged for more than 2 weeks. Think about the Scarsdale too, so high in proteins and so low in sugars, carbs and added fat, it would kill your kidneys if you did it for longer than 2 weeks.
Atkins does not sound healthy to me either, but I think that 2 weeks of any diets cannot hurt anyone (even 2 weeks of total starvation wouldn't kill you).
Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I'm not on Atkins, and I agree completely that it is potentially dangerous over a long period of time. ... ... ... In my opinion living completely on one specific food category can have a damaging impact on your health.
I agree with you that leaving a whole category of nutrient out of your diet for PROLONGED periods of time can be dangerous (most of all because you overconsume other categories, e.g. proteins that then have to go through your kidneys).
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
I agree with you that leaving a whole category of nutrient out of your diet for PROLONGED periods of time can be dangerous (most of all because you overconsume other categories, e.g. proteins that then have to go through your kidneys).
Truthfully, you're not leaving out any category of nutrient when you low-carb. Your body can generate limitless amounts of the glucose it needs to function properly when provided with fat and protein to process. The same can't be said if you decide to substantially reduce fat or protein (technically you do store ingested carbs as fat but only if you eat them to excess; however, even moderate amounts of carbs from starch and grain sources have other significant health effects, such as higher blood glucose and subclinical chronic inflammation).

If you've got healthy kidneys then protein isn't a major concern. Yes, the kidneys have to do more work (increased filtration) when you eat more protein, but this isn't detrimental. And the increased net acid load can be offset by eating plenty of calcium-rich leafy greens.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

The recommended dietary allowance for protein is 69g (males) or 50g (females).
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Then the recommended daily allowance has failed to catch up with the latest science in the field. Understandable, since it's only updated every five years by a government committee, which regularly moves at speeds sure to make a snail proud.

Most research nowadays shows that up to 1g/lb bodyweight is fine for individuals with average activity, while athletes do fine up to 2g/lb bodyweight. I base my dietary/nutritional plans on science, not on committee recommendations. Sometimes even the best trained or most highly-credentialed experts suffer from confirmation bias and a strange refusal to let go of dated science.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 AM
FitDay Member

I want to try the Atkins induction for 2 weeks but I'm not sure I know how to calculate the net carbs. I thought you just had to do tot carbs - fibers, but then in the CARAMEL CHOCOLATE PEANUT NOUGAT BAR from Atkins how do they come up with 2g net carbs if the tot carbs are 22g and the fibers 10g?
Also, where do you guys buy the strips?
Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vsabino
I want to try the Atkins induction for 2 weeks but I'm not sure I know how to calculate the net carbs. I thought you just had to do tot carbs - fibers, but then in the CARAMEL CHOCOLATE PEANUT NOUGAT BAR from Atkins how do they come up with 2g net carbs if the tot carbs are 22g and the fibers 10g?
Maybe its something about the thermic effect of food? Maybe the process of digesting 10g of fiber increases your rate of metabolism enough to burn off an extra 10g of carbs, leading to 2g of net carb just floating around... This is just a guess.

One thing you could try is to do the Atkins diet phases using whole foods instead of the processed Atkins products. I don't find them to be much better than other processed "health" packaged foods (granted I've never actually eaten any — just looked at the labeling).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.