Notices

Soup/Sacred Heart Diet?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Soup/Sacred Heart Diet?

Has anyone tried the Sacred Heart Diet?? It's a soup-based diet and claims that you will lose 10-17 pounds in the first week. Wondering if anyone has seen these results!
Old 07-29-2012, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Your post got my interest, so I looked it up and found the recipe and made a batch of the soup up. It doesn't taste that great, but maybe if I substitute chicken broth for the beef broth it'll taste better next time. I ate it for one day, and wasn't feeling well, my stomach was a bit upset, but I wasn't hungry for anything, and it made my scale happy by a couple of pounds, so I may make up another batch.

It really doesn't taste that great but I did experience some weight loss that I haven't seen for quite awhile.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Good to hear!! ( Minus you not liking the taste too much) I think I'll maybe try it out after reading your comment DJwanye200, Thank you!! Sorry to have unintentionally made you my guinea pig ha
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

Well I have been making more of it. I ate one pot last night and today and am making another pot right now...The chicken broth is waaaaay better than the beef broth. For today's pot I'm using all fresh veggies instead of canned, except the green beans, and a much better grade of chicken broth that what I used yesterday. So today's soup should come out tasting great. I do seem to be losing a lot of water as I'm in the bathroom a lot more than usual. Which is good, if I can lose 10 pounds of water, I'll take it. 10 pounds is 10 pounds. The body is made up of 70% percent water, so, good riddance to water !!

The beef broth and Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup doesn't seem like a good match to me, it certainly didn't taste good. Chicken broth is much better.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Well here it is day three and I should have lost 5 pounds by now, but I'm right where I started, so I'm quitting this diet. Too many problems with cramping all over, leg cramps, stomach cramps, arm cramps, back cramps.......plus I'm really sick of eating the soup. Soooo starting tomorrow I'm going back to the Subway Veggie Delite salads which I have lost much weight on before. You eat a bowl of veggies like broccoli or green beans for lunch and a Subway salad for dinner and that's it. I know it works with no side effects and I feel great. It's a bit expensive after a while but it's worth it. The salads they sell you are all fresh and taste great. I tried making them at home but it's just not as good. So I'll be going to Subway for a while.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 AM
FitDay Member

Looked up the diet on-line - it is exactly like the 'cabbage soup' diet except that they have taken out the cabbage (No fibre for you!) I tried that diet once many years ago but could not get past day 4 (bananas and skim milk, yecch!).

I do however still make the soup sometimes as I find it quite nutritious. It's cheap and easy to make too - recipe follows:

1 large can stewed/diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
1 onion chopped
1 large stalk celery chopped
3-4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
1 carrot chopped
green beans if you want them - frozen works best IMO

Water to cover, bring to a boil then simmer for about an hour.
Spices: I never add salt as there is enough in the canned broth, plenty of ground pepper, try some thyme and savory, parsley, and a pinch of curry powder works really nicely.

I never add meat to the soup as I'm making it, but you could add leftover roast pork or beef, or lean cooked ground beef if you like.

You can also add a can of drained/rinsed chick peas or kidney beans to boost protein/fibre levels in the soup.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great sounding soup, I would cut the simmer time down to 35 min tho. Thanks for the recipe!