How many cal per day to lose 2 pounds a week >

How many cal per day to lose 2 pounds a week

Community
Notices

How many cal per day to lose 2 pounds a week

Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default How many cal per day to lose 2 pounds a week

Does anyone know how many cal I can eat if I want to lose 2 pounds a week?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by di.audrey
Well it is really about how much you burn more than how much you eat. 3500 calories equals one pound so if you want to lose 2 pounds in a week you can do the math but that will have to be the number you burn on top of what you take in. If you eat 2000 calories a day then you would have to burn 1000 calories a day. Obviously if you eat fewer calories the less you will have to burn off. However, DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF! Eat sensible and portion control is key.

Once all this is taken into consideration you will know how much you have to eat a day to lose the few pounds you desire to lose. Here are a few websites that help me out:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
this one helps me to know roughly how much I should eat depending on my age and activity level.

and

The Most Accurate Calories Burned Estimator
this one is a good second opinion for how many calories a certain exercise burns...If you don’t trust FITDAY that is.

I hope this helps you reach your mini goal.

Frank
Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with everything Frank has said, I just wanted to add one thing:

The less you weight the more difficult and the less advisable it is to burn lots of calories very fast. You do need to make sure to get all your nutrition! It's not about not eating, it's about what you put into your mouth! Try to reduce your carbohydrates and increase your protein intake. Exercise regularly. And as Frank has said: DON'T STARVE YOURSELF!!

Last edited by MollySue2; 07-12-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

you wont get any better advice than that! frank and molly are spot on.....portion control,5 to 6 meals a day...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by fourank
Well it is really about how much you burn more than how much you eat.
This is my first post. The "burn" line sparked my interest. Unless you're eating the right foods, exercise isn't going to do enough regarding weight loss. I know I sound crazy, but I'm not.
Why Exercise is not the answer for weight loss

And cutting calories won't work in the long run. Usually when people cut calories they eat less of the crappy foods that helped them gain weight. Not starving yourself is good advice, but when you cut calories, that's basically what you're doing on a smaller scale... hence, the reason diets don't work over time.

People need to focus on eating healthy foods rather than losing weight. When you eat healthy, weight loss is a "side effect."

We need to eat plenty of good foods, rather than fewer bad foods.

Just something to think about.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I believe that we all need to find our own way on this journey. That being said, I still tend to agree with Frank and Molly.

I think you can find just about anything to support any position on the internet or in books. I read the link above and I'm sure it's great advice for some people. I'm also sure that avoiding carbs doesn't work for some people. I'm one of them. I eat pretty clean, but I don't avoid carbs or talk about them like they're the plague.

What worked for me personally is the calories in, calories out paradigm, as well as making good choices. I also think that exercise IS an answer for a lot of things, including overall health.

I am committed to encouraging people to do what works for them, as long as they're honest about it working. Oftentimes people try to go low carb and it's very frustrating and they give up.

If it works for you, great. If not, I think you need to feel free to find your own way without others telling you what you should and shouldn't eat. My posts to newbies usually include some advice about experimenting till you get to know your body and how it works best and that's really the best advice I can give.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

I agree that everyone needs to find what works for them, because everyone is different. But the majority of people run into the same problems, and that's what I'm addressing.

Yeah, exercise is important and great for overall health, but I'm talking about exercise for weight loss. People tend to stress exercise for weight loss with the idea of "burning calories." So they bust their butts at the gym, "burn" a few hundred calories (jogging for 30 minutes, if possible, will only burn around 300 calories) then compensate for those calories post workout because they're either hungry, or they feel they deserve it. Or they just go hungry, but because of the foods they're eating their time in the gym was wasted. Stressing exercise for weight loss over diet is a mistake because it tends to burn people out and no matter how much you exercise (amount humanly possible, not hypothetical), if you're eating the wrong foods you won't lose any weight. That's why I always suggest people focus on what foods they're eating, and focus less on the amount of food and the level of exercise.

There are two "problems" I've noticed people run into with eating low-carb (however you define it). First, most people in the U.S. think that eating fat is bad and causes weight gain or heart health problems (which is horribly false). So someone will decide to eat "low-carb" to drop weight but what they're really doing is eating "low carb/low-fat." That's a mistake, and it often confuses people into thinking the low-carb aspect is the problem, and it's too difficult. The other problem is people can't stick it out for the first 1-2 weeks while their bodies adjust to using stored and dietary fat for energy (ketisos) rather than the quick energy spikes we get from carbohydrates. So they quit early and decide it's just not for them.

I'm going with most people here. As I said, everyone is different so I'm not suggesting these cases apply to you. My main point was that people should alter the types of foods they eat, rather than focusing on "burning" calories via exercise, or partially starving themselves. Neither of those - in most cases - works long term.

However, if someone posts a questions asking what they should or shouldn't eat in order to lose weight, then I think it's ok to reply with suggestions as to what they should or shouldn't eat.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Barryman9000
This is my first post. The "burn" line sparked my interest. Unless you're eating the right foods, exercise isn't going to do enough regarding weight loss. I know I sound crazy, but I'm not.
Why Exercise is not the answer for weight loss

And cutting calories won't work in the long run. Usually when people cut calories they eat less of the crappy foods that helped them gain weight. Not starving yourself is good advice, but when you cut calories, that's basically what you're doing on a smaller scale... hence, the reason diets don't work over time.

People need to focus on eating healthy foods rather than losing weight. When you eat healthy, weight loss is a "side effect."

We need to eat plenty of good foods, rather than fewer bad foods.

Just something to think about.

I love this advice. I actually focus on making sure I'm getting the recommended amounts of vits, etc. and not overdoing the recommended amounts of sodium, carbs, etc. The old advice for dieters to shop from the perimeter of the store is some damn good advice too
Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by di.audrey
1000 below your maintenance and you had better exercise and watch your vitamins and mineral intake