Notices

Calorie intake too low, help!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Question Calorie intake too low, help!

After keeping a food journal for a week and taking it to a dietitian I've been told that for my weight I'm not consuming enough calories?!

I don't feel hungry. I'm eating 3 balanced meals plus 2/3 light snacks during the day but my calories are barely making 1000, let alone the 1250-1500 she wants me to take in.

My food includes fruit, salad, Mediterranean vegetables, lean chicken, potatoes, yogurt, muesli, tuna, wholemeal bread, egg, cottage cheese and soups. I also give myself a daily treat, like a packet of light crisps, a weight watchers cake bar, or pot of low sugar jelly.

I don't eat much red meat or fish. So where can I add good calories during the day?

I'll add that I do a 30 minute daily cardo work out, and swim at least 10 lengths each day too.

Help?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

I would start with nuts and nut butters, if you're not allergic. Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc. have healthy fats and protein, and an ounce, which is not that many, has about 160-180 calories. Also, a protein shake or smoothie with protien powder mixed in could also be good choices.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

If you're already feeling full on your current solid food intake, maybe you could try drinking your extra calories. Drinking calories is usually much easier than eating since your body thinks you're getting far less than you really are. Try blending full fat milk with some protein, ice, and fruit (and if you're feeling particularly adventurous, a raw egg or three), and having that once a day to push up your calories.

Good fruits to blend include bananas, berries, and pitted plums, peaches, and apricots.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:22 AM
FitDay Member

Say why don't you come on over and I'll show you how it's done. If eating were an Olympic sport, I would have more gold medals than Michael Phelps.

Actually I concur with cjohnson, nuts make an awesome addition to any diet, especially Brazil nuts and almonds. Tandoorichicken also has a good point about drinking calories, I have a protein shake after every workout. It takes the edge off the hunger I've worked up and gives me a nice protein boost for my aching muscles. Another thing you might try is protein or energy bars, but you have to read the labels, some are pretty much candy bars in disguise.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I recommend lentils. Super high in protein and fiber, good calories, and high nutrient density! Plus, they are less gassy then most beans
Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

You seem real low on fat. The right fats are your friend and should not be avoided. Since it sounds like you are not into the animal fats, I recommend coconut milk. I put it in my coffee as well as make coconut milk ice cream... Coconut oil is great to cook with as well.

Not a huge fan of dairy but heavy whipping cream is loaded with quality fat without the bad stuff.