FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Hey all! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/1317-hey-all.html)

jakeaveres 06-13-2010 11:13 PM

Hey all!

Hey there guy's. New member here haha. Okay so life story now, was about 126kgs 4 months ago. Managed to cut down to about 97 (currently) but I am wanting to lose the last 7-10 kgs to get me to a healthy weight, and build mass too. I am going to the gym 4 x's a week, doing a moderate set and reps of the weight machines, biking 10k's, rowing 1k and running 2-3ks. I am also wanting to slowly build mass too. So to all clued up people, here is my question/s. What sort of diet is a good diet to stick to (no gimmicks or lose wight quick, just real info) and what foods should I eat to gain mass also. If you can give me an example of daily food list that would be great! Any information really. I have a moderate budget to buy food on, seeing I am not rich, but I am committed and am willing to take any genuine advice. Thanks in advance Jake.

Edit: I am 19, 6ft and a broad build, like my shoulders and what not, sorry I am not clued up on this, as I am not a professional, but as builds go, I am a broader than average build.

But any information I will find useful on my quest for success will be awesome.

all4eternity 06-13-2010 11:37 PM

so do you want to lose those 7-10 kg or you want to build mass? Can't do both at the same time! Completely different diet for those goals and different type of training.
I have great book, how to lose 10lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscles. Guess that's the right book for you. If you give me e-mail address I'll send it to you right away.

tandoorichicken 06-14-2010 01:06 PM

Jake,

Way to line up quantitative, realistic and specific goals — I respect that.

I can relate to what you're seeking as I'm seeking it too. I've hit my target baseline weight already and I'm trying to bulk up a bit too. So far I've had good results, as I'm losing fat in places I didn't know I had it and filling it in with the good hard stuff.

Diet basics - eat real food! I sometimes feel like I shout this from rooftops but it's important. You might see quick results from quick and convenient packaged food, but in the long run it's stressing out your hormonal systems as well, and these are king in your body. I've been doing great on high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast:
1 cup of coffee and pick any two: 2-3 eggs, 2-3 strips of bacon, 1 avocado, 1 pint of whole milk

Snack: handful of almonds, or 2 slices of cheese

Lunch: raw spinach, arugula salad with generous helping of olive oil

Snack: buffalo jerky, more nuts, more milk, or dried fruit

Dinner: Some vegetable dish, with or without meat, occasionally with a cooked high-protein grain, such as quinoa or barley (guilty pleasure; the stuff tastes great)

On non-lifting days, my calories hit anywhere from 1700-2200 kcal.
On lifting days, I go 2200-3000 kcal/day depending on intensity and training time.

Hope this is a good intro to get you started. I'd be happy to go into more detail if you have any questions. :) Good luck.

jakeaveres 06-14-2010 03:09 PM

Just some questions;
- Is a high fat diet good if I am wanting to hit my target weight?
- That food plan you just gave me, is it for fat burning or building mass?

EDIT: You sound like your on the same track as me, but a bit ahead. And it sounds like you have good adivce too, so add me [email protected] if you have msn. As I would like to get more info off you.

tandoorichicken 06-15-2010 06:39 PM

Hey jake,

unfortunately I'm not on msn but I'd be glad to answer more questions about my diet and my fitness plan here, to the benefit of all.

Low carb, "paleo" is how I eat. It's not a "diet" per se that I go "on," more like I've been eating this way for almost nine months and I've noticed some dramatic changes in my body composition. My weight has stayed almost the same, I dropped about five pounds in all, but I've noticeably slimmed down, dropped from 34 waist to 32-33 waist and put on considerably more muscle. Now I'm looking to add on another 5-10lbs of muscle but this is where the journey turns uphill, as adding muscle is really hard for me.

Calorie restriction is what you're looking for if you just want to plain lose weight. But the low carb, high fat, moderate protein balance I subscribe to helps you hang onto the muscle as you're losing body fat, instead of cannibalizing it to feed a high-carb inferno starving for protein. In the long run, this means you keep your metabolic benefits from having said muscle, while maintaining a solid baseline amount to build from when it's time to bulk.

jakeaveres 06-15-2010 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken (Post 13535)
Hey jake,

unfortunately I'm not on msn but I'd be glad to answer more questions about my diet and my fitness plan here, to the benefit of all.

Low carb, "paleo" is how I eat. It's not a "diet" per se that I go "on," more like I've been eating this way for almost nine months and I've noticed some dramatic changes in my body composition. My weight has stayed almost the same, I dropped about five pounds in all, but I've noticeably slimmed down, dropped from 34 waist to 32-33 waist and put on considerably more muscle. Now I'm looking to add on another 5-10lbs of muscle but this is where the journey turns uphill, as adding muscle is really hard for me.

Calorie restriction is what you're looking for if you just want to plain lose weight. But the low carb, high fat, moderate protein balance I subscribe to helps you hang onto the muscle as you're losing body fat, instead of cannibalizing it to feed a high-carb inferno starving for protein. In the long run, this means you keep your metabolic benefits from having said muscle, while maintaining a solid baseline amount to build from when it's time to bulk.

With your low carb high fat med protein plan, how many grams of fat and protein?

jakeaveres 06-15-2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by all4eternity (Post 13377)
so do you want to lose those 7-10 kg or you want to build mass? Can't do both at the same time! Completely different diet for those goals and different type of training.
I have great book, how to lose 10lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscles. Guess that's the right book for you. If you give me e-mail address I'll send it to you right away.

Sorry to mistake you haha! I meant I wanted to get to the average weight then build mass after.

tandoorichicken 06-16-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jakeaveres (Post 13542)
With your low carb high fat med protein plan, how many grams of fat and protein?

As far as protein goes, I shoot for at least 0.75g/lb bodyweight minimum. For me that's about 120g protein / day. Pretty straightforward if you like your meat, eggs and dairy. Some veggies also get you there, like broccoli. Beans too.

The rest, fat and carbs, I don't necessarily count, but I follow certain food rules. I don't usually eat any bread or grain products, aside from occasional quinoa dishes once a week or so. I try to eat as many green vegetables as possible, keep starchy veggies like potatoes to a minimum (usually as extra fuel on my super-heavy lifting days, about 2-3 times a month), and "fade" from more carb-dominance in the morning, to get my day going (in the form of fruit), to more fat-dominance in the evening, to help get a good night's sleep (meat cooked in some kind of saturated fat, accompanied by a veggie or two).

For example, a FD log of mine from the end of March lists about 2350 calories total. I keep a workout log as well separately and know this was a moderately tough lower body/back day. 120g of protein met, then about 120g of fat and 210g of carbs. In terms of calories that's about 480kcal protein, 840kcal carb, and 1040kcal fat. This is pretty typical, although lately I've been trying to push total carb even lower (breaking a plateau right now).

EDIT: I should add that at this time I was still trying to figure out the best breakfast for me, so I was experimenting with oatmeal. I've since given that up, since it can make me lethargic. That's also why carb is so high for that day.