Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Diets
Weight Watcher??? >

Weight Watcher???

Community
Notices

Weight Watcher???

Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

suzzirichardson - how funny! your "to/from" weight is EXACTLY where I am. A friend and I were looking at the Suzanne Somers diet, but I don't think I can live with her combinations. I had looked at the WW diet, but don't really want to commit that much $$ to a program. I like FitDay because I can track what I eat on my own. I know what foods are good and bad for me - just need to see it "in writing!"
Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 PM
FitDay Member

We need to start a group, I'm 164 working toward 135

A good friend of mine lost 60 lbs on WW, but went off it and gained it back. She's back on it now, I don't know how much she's lost but I did notice her jeans are looser lately. Like anything else, you have to stick with it. I don't have the time/motivation for the meetings myself.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM
FitDay Member

Glad to know I'm not alone!

My mom and brother did the WW thing when my brother was a teenager. They both lost a lot of weight on it, but like others have said if you don't stick to healthy eating, the weight goes right back on - and then some. This is truly the first time in my life I have been as heavy as I am, except when I was pregnant, and it's a real mental struggle for me along with the physical struggle. I am trying to do this right at this time in my life and make the healthy habits stick.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
FitDay Member

I did weight watchers years ago (wasn't overweight - just wanted to trim down) and it worked great but like everything, you have to maintain. I'm now almost 54 and have never been as heavy as I am now. Last fall my doctor told me to lose 10 pounds - after that I gained five but I'm back on track now and have lost the 5 plus 6 so 4 pounds to go - however, I want to lose another 10 besides.
A friend of mine (that can think of any excuse why her current diet plan doesn't work) said the problem with weight watchers was that it didn't teach you proper eating. You could in theory get all you daily points from fat - I guess it is possible - though to me unlikely.
If you join weight watchers for say 3 months and recorded all you ate on FitDay you would have your points broken down to calories and if you averaged out how many calories kept you within those points, you would know what you should eat calorie wise. Some people need the support of meetings - if so then do what works for you - it is better then buying the expensive pre-packaged diet plans that don't teach you anything!
Old 02-28-2010, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

I did it, and it worked, but I gained it back. I am however on it again because no other diets freaking work for me, I never go to the meetings or anything though, I just count points :]
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

I've been off and on weight watchers for awhile, but I just decided I couldn't afford it and hadn't lost any weight. I only want to drop 8-10 pounds, but they haven't gone anywhere! I was explaining to my fiance just a few minutes ago why I was excited to do fitday-I had two eggs for breakfast with a tiny bit of pam. Maybe not what I want to eat every day, but very tasty and filling. And only freakin' 140 calories. Whereas if I was still doing WW, that woudl be like four or five points. Just because no fiber and some fat. Those points constitute nearly 25% of my daily points. I'm hopeful that by monitoring my calories and focusing on getting enough protein and continuing my running the weight might eventually leave me. Although I have to say, at 31 the weight doesn't leave as quickly as it did at 25...
Old 03-26-2010, 02:23 AM
FitDay Member

Smile WW is a good program

I used it in the past and lost 50 pounds. What I liked about it is that you can eat anything as long as you stay within the points range. At the meetings they do encourage healthy eating of course and my leader always had GREAT recipes. I have regained about 25 pounds but that is due to an injury which made it difficult to exercise and then I stopped counting points. I am currently able to start exercising again and am ready to lose the weight, however I am unemployed now and cannot afford the meetings even though they don't cost that much so I am trying to do what I know I need to do and use this site to help.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

I've been on WW and think it's a great program. I stopped going due to the cost, it is expensive. I've gained weight back but that's me, not the program. The fact is that most people who lose weight don't keep it off, regardless of the plan they follow. The bonus with WW is you can go for free once you reach your goal.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Reply to jancamp09

Originally Posted by jancamp09
I did weight watchers years ago (wasn't overweight - just wanted to trim down) and it worked great but like everything, you have to maintain. I'm now almost 54 and have never been as heavy as I am now. Last fall my doctor told me to lose 10 pounds - after that I gained five but I'm back on track now and have lost the 5 plus 6 so 4 pounds to go - however, I want to lose another 10 besides.
A friend of mine (that can think of any excuse why her current diet plan doesn't work) said the problem with weight watchers was that it didn't teach you proper eating. You could in theory get all you daily points from fat - I guess it is possible - though to me unlikely.
If you join weight watchers for say 3 months and recorded all you ate on FitDay you would have your points broken down to calories and if you averaged out how many calories kept you within those points, you would know what you should eat calorie wise. Some people need the support of meetings - if so then do what works for you - it is better then buying the expensive pre-packaged diet plans that don't teach you anything!
That's interesting about your friend. I did WW for 6 months a few years back and they taught a LOT about healthy eating. You had to make sure you had at LEAST five servings of produce each day, and that you have LEAN servings of protein, and that you drink enough water...it goes on and on. We constantly talked about healthy eating at meetings, including recipe exchanges. Did she do online WW? Maybe they don't teach it there? I can't see it though with all the emphasis on it at meetings.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

i was 150 at my highest point and joined Weight Watchers with my mom during the summer before my senior year of college. I LOVED the meetings. I had such a fantastic leader. She made everything so easy to follow and i lost all the weight I wanted to lose. Then she had to quit bc WW refused to continue paying for her health benefits. Ever since then I have had a really hard time finding as good of a leader. For me the meetings make all the difference. It is a weekly checkpoint that really keeps me accountable. The support from the other members (if you have a friendly group) makes it incredibly valuable and humorous.

I recently joined Fitday.com and I love it! The people here seem to be amazing even tho I don't ever get to talk to them face-to-face. I think that this has replaced a lot of my need for having an inspirational leader because I have all of you!

Also, on Fitday.com I can eat more. I was down to only 18 points a day and I was gaining weight. I'm pretty sure this is bc I was not eating enough, mixed with eating crap at my boyfriend's apt. on the weekends. This program allows me a lot more daily calories which so far is working in my favor. I am aiming for around 1100 cals a day, a few hundred less than the "sedentary" calorie budget for my height and weight. I'm much more aware of carbs from fruits and veggies due to entering all my food into fitday rather than just using the WW points system. I also try to eat more fat now--all from healthy sources.

All in all I'd say that the combo is great for me. I don't own a scale so I go to the meetings for weekly weigh-ins. If I wasn't a Lifetime member (free) then I'm not sure I'd still go.

Last edited by blackrhino2; 04-25-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.