Notices

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution

Hey everyone...I am new here, but not new to dieting and trying to get healthy
I have been an on again off again low carber for years and while I know that the yo-yo'ing is bad! I have suffered some setbacks, but I always go back to this plan...here's why:

1) I have pre-diabetes and this plan keeps my blood sugar in check better than any other.
2) when I eat bread or pasta in any form, it causes me to get shaky and my heart to race, but when I stay away I feel normal and great!
3) I have had great success with losing weight, among other many benefits of a low carb diet, while not feeling hungry or deprived. There are low carb versions of just about everything out there now...
4) I can think clearer, I am in a brain fog when I eat without regard, including all the carby foods you can think of.
5) There is such a misunderstanding with this way of eating...a lot of people say you can't not eat carbs, that's so unhealthy! Well you ARE eating carbs, just in the form of healthy vegetables and some low sugar, high antioxidant fruits, your giving your brain and body the best form of carbohydrate there is.
6) Three separate doctors, an ER doctor, my family doctor, and a resident at my local hospital all have told me that its great that I want to follow that plan. There are health care providers that are on the bandwagon and have done the research to see the many benefits of cutting out refined and simple carbohydrates, such as that it is a high carbohydrate diet of our western society that has led to the increase in obesity and heart disease..not a high fat diet. In fact many fats are healthy for you and your heart and can actually help you lose weight.

With all of that preaching, (sorry), I restarted this plan yesterday and have lost 3.8 lbs of water weight since then and I already feel better. I am looking forward to many more days of eating this way but moving on to fat loss, and finally reaching my goals.

Anyone else out there follow a LC diet and want to add anything please do and thanks for letting me say my piece!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi and welcome to the site. It is a good one for whatever diet you follow. I have tried Atkins and it works for me till I go back to my old habits. I'm glad it works for you. You are describing a lot of the same symptoms described in the books Wheat Belly and Wheat Brain. I have dropped wheat after reading about the brain fog it can be responsible for. Mary
Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default Atkins for Life

Hi, Kim! Welcome to fitday! Atkins quite the thing, I'll say! It seems to me that most of the diets being touted as NOT low carb (so as to distance themselves from Atkins) are merely a paraphrase of Atkins Maintenance. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! I'm HFLC also. Was told this site would track carbs but not seeing that just seeing calories. Really needing a carb tracker any suggestions? Love the tracking of measurements and weight! Thanks, Robin W.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a low carber but I do appreciate the way fitday displays protein fat and carb (and alcohol) ratios.

When you log your foods, just look to the right at the pie chart that will display below your calorie intake so far. It should be a pie chart showing the percentage of carbs, protein, fats - and if you drank alcohol that day, alcohol will show up.

This is the default chart 'calorie intake.' It is set and can be changed in your settings. I think it's a great visual display for what your daily food macros have been. What amazes me (as someone who is heavily into carbs as a quasi-vegetarian) is how much fat there is in your unadulterated natural food before you ever add any fats. You see fat right away on your pie chart next to your food log. You will see all your carbs, as a percentage of your calories, show up. And Protein. And alcohol, if you have wine with dinner.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-26-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default 210

I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins. Love it! I now motivate others on Facebook. My way of giving back what Dr. Atkins gave to me.