Notices

Low Carb Diet?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low Carb Diet?

I started eating low carb today.

I've been following a 1500-1600 calorie diet for a couple of months, and I've managed to lose a whopping 4 pounds.

But the most reason I need a low carb diet is because the effect sugar -- or anything that dissolves to sugars -- have on my bladder.

Even eating the relatively low carbs (around 100) that I kept with the calorie-restricted diet plays havoc with my bladder, so I thought I'd try eating very low carb, so today I took in about 25 carbs. (I know it isn't Atkins induction-level, but I have to be realistic about how I eat, and use what I have at home.)

The day included a one-mile swim (as three days a week do).

When I took my blood sugar after swimming for an hour (three hours after a breakfast of eggs and bacon, but before eating lunch), my blood sugar was 135.

I forgot to take a reading the rest of the day, but when I took my blood sugar at almost bedtime (and therefore almost-time-to-take-my-dose-of-insulin) it was 211!

I'm guessing my body is releasing glucose like crazy to counteract the fact that I'm not putting any in through my stomach, but what do I do?

If I eat foods with any carbohydrates to speak of, my bladder rebels. If I eat absolutely NO carbohydrates, my blood sugar peaks, which will release sugar into my bladder, and it rebels.

Not eating anything at all is NOT an option!

Anybody have any ideas for me to try?

(For what it's worth, I'm a 60-year old woman, with insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes since 2009 -- diabetes since 2004 or so. I'm moderately active.)

Last edited by kananaka; 09-08-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Low Carb Diet?

A low carb diet is generally used to lose weight. Some low carb diets say that they have health benefits beyond weight loss, such as reducing risk factors associated with heart disease, certain cancers, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 AM
FitDay Member

That's a real head scratcher. When I stick to low carb, my glucose level drops to normal. It doesn't rise.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Good for you! I am also in the process of trying low carb diet, hope it works for me too.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Good job,I appreciate your work.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

If you're using those little glucose monitoring gadgets (bought from a pharmacy), are you using all the parts correctly? I used one and found it confusing! But let's say you got all of the parts and procedure right - couldn't you ask your doctor about those numbers? This would be the kind of information that would be important.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:21 AM
FitDay Member

Please contact me, I am also 60 and I see some danger signs in your post. I have been on Atkins since the age of 17 and know this diet inside and out. There are some things I read in your post that are very dangerous. First of all you will starve your brain by eating no carbs, and to accomplish eating no carbs, you'd have to eat only lard. You don't want to be in severe diabetic ketosis, and if you're doing this diet correctly, you'd be off meds in 3 months tops. I am happy to assist you in anyway possible. I have maintained a weight loss of 100 lbs. I am a nutritionist and consultant on another site; and have helped hundreds lose weight, for free, because I don't want to read posts like this.

I don't want to see you hurt yourself further. Carbs cannot affect your bladder in anyway whatsoever. I think you need to see a professional about that. You should be eating every 3 hours with diabetes and in general. You are definitely doing something wrong. How do you suppose blood sugar can peak if you're not eating sugar or carbohydrates, which convert to sugar? Doesn't make sense. I will help you privately, as what you're doing is all wrong and you're in danger of organ shut down. If you are not losing one lb minimum, you are doing something wrong.

Even during a plateau you will lose inches and then have a large loss of weight. You're always losing inches, even when your weight stalls, because you're building muscle.

Last edited by usemyotheraddy; 10-31-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: additional information, and spelling correction
Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I've had success with low carbing and with a 3-day "fat fast" to jump start from a plateau, but I don't have type 2 Diabetes! A few of my friends do, so I know ketosis is not good for them, but didn't understand until I read up on it here --

Diabetic ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No diet is worth dying for!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Low carb diets generally lower blood triglycerides. This is likely due to a reduced intake of refined carbohydrates and sugars as well as a reduction in body weight with low carb diets.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

If you are aiming at loosing weight then low carb dietis good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.