FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Diets (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/)
-   -   Low Carb Diet? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/diets/10122-low-carb-diet.html)

kananaka 09-07-2013 09:37 PM

Low Carb Diet?

I started eating low carb today.

I've been following a 1500-1600 calorie diet for a couple of months, and I've managed to lose a whopping 4 pounds.

But the most reason I need a low carb diet is because the effect sugar -- or anything that dissolves to sugars -- have on my bladder.

Even eating the relatively low carbs (around 100) that I kept with the calorie-restricted diet plays havoc with my bladder, so I thought I'd try eating very low carb, so today I took in about 25 carbs. (I know it isn't Atkins induction-level, but I have to be realistic about how I eat, and use what I have at home.)

The day included a one-mile swim (as three days a week do).

When I took my blood sugar after swimming for an hour (three hours after a breakfast of eggs and bacon, but before eating lunch), my blood sugar was 135.

I forgot to take a reading the rest of the day, but when I took my blood sugar at almost bedtime (and therefore almost-time-to-take-my-dose-of-insulin) it was 211!

I'm guessing my body is releasing glucose like crazy to counteract the fact that I'm not putting any in through my stomach, but what do I do?

If I eat foods with any carbohydrates to speak of, my bladder rebels. If I eat absolutely NO carbohydrates, my blood sugar peaks, which will release sugar into my bladder, and it rebels.

Not eating anything at all is NOT an option!

Anybody have any ideas for me to try?

(For what it's worth, I'm a 60-year old woman, with insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes since 2009 -- diabetes since 2004 or so. I'm moderately active.)

marteenhook 09-15-2013 08:39 PM

Low Carb Diet?

A low carb diet is generally used to lose weight. Some low carb diets say that they have health benefits beyond weight loss, such as reducing risk factors associated with heart disease, certain cancers, diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

shenue 10-07-2013 05:30 AM

That's a real head scratcher. When I stick to low carb, my glucose level drops to normal. It doesn't rise.

bishopnimmo 10-09-2013 02:47 PM

Good for you! I am also in the process of trying low carb diet, hope it works for me too.

dustinmoskovitz 10-23-2013 11:35 PM

Good job,I appreciate your work.

Kathy13118 10-25-2013 09:16 AM

If you're using those little glucose monitoring gadgets (bought from a pharmacy), are you using all the parts correctly? I used one and found it confusing! But let's say you got all of the parts and procedure right - couldn't you ask your doctor about those numbers? This would be the kind of information that would be important.

usemyotheraddy 10-31-2013 03:21 AM

Please contact me, I am also 60 and I see some danger signs in your post. I have been on Atkins since the age of 17 and know this diet inside and out. There are some things I read in your post that are very dangerous. First of all you will starve your brain by eating no carbs, and to accomplish eating no carbs, you'd have to eat only lard. You don't want to be in severe diabetic ketosis, and if you're doing this diet correctly, you'd be off meds in 3 months tops. I am happy to assist you in anyway possible. I have maintained a weight loss of 100 lbs. I am a nutritionist and consultant on another site; and have helped hundreds lose weight, for free, because I don't want to read posts like this.

I don't want to see you hurt yourself further. Carbs cannot affect your bladder in anyway whatsoever. I think you need to see a professional about that. You should be eating every 3 hours with diabetes and in general. You are definitely doing something wrong. How do you suppose blood sugar can peak if you're not eating sugar or carbohydrates, which convert to sugar? Doesn't make sense. I will help you privately, as what you're doing is all wrong and you're in danger of organ shut down. If you are not losing one lb minimum, you are doing something wrong.

Even during a plateau you will lose inches and then have a large loss of weight. You're always losing inches, even when your weight stalls, because you're building muscle.

bikehikerun 11-10-2013 07:12 AM

I've had success with low carbing and with a 3-day "fat fast" to jump start from a plateau, but I don't have type 2 Diabetes! A few of my friends do, so I know ketosis is not good for them, but didn't understand until I read up on it here --

Diabetic ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No diet is worth dying for!

austinkmadison 12-13-2013 12:09 AM

Low carb diets generally lower blood triglycerides. This is likely due to a reduced intake of refined carbohydrates and sugars as well as a reduction in body weight with low carb diets.

design2host 12-18-2013 03:53 PM

If you are aiming at loosing weight then low carb dietis good.

Lydia473 01-14-2014 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by usemyotheraddy (Post 103462)
Please contact me, I am also 60 and I see some danger signs in your post. I have been on Atkins since the age of 17 and know this diet inside and out. There are some things I read in your post that are very dangerous. First of all you will starve your brain by eating no carbs, and to accomplish eating no carbs, you'd have to eat only lard. You don't want to be in severe diabetic ketosis, and if you're doing this diet correctly, you'd be off meds in 3 months tops. I am happy to assist you in anyway possible. I have maintained a weight loss of 100 lbs. I am a nutritionist and consultant on another site; and have helped hundreds lose weight, for free, because I don't want to read posts like this.

I don't want to see you hurt yourself further. Carbs cannot affect your bladder in anyway whatsoever. I think you need to see a professional about that. You should be eating every 3 hours with diabetes and in general. You are definitely doing something wrong. How do you suppose blood sugar can peak if you're not eating sugar or carbohydrates, which convert to sugar? Doesn't make sense. I will help you privately, as what you're doing is all wrong and you're in danger of organ shut down. If you are not losing one lb minimum, you are doing something wrong.

Even during a plateau you will lose inches and then have a large loss of weight. You're always losing inches, even when your weight stalls, because you're building muscle.

Hello, Since you are very familiar with Atkins, could you suggest some breakfast options, just started and already struggling.

tuppenc 01-14-2014 09:42 AM

My husband is Type 2 Diabetic (diet controlled) and we follow the Primal way of eating. Go to marksdailyapple.com to find out all you need to know. When he goes for his diabetic assessment his doctor is delighted with his results and tells him to keep on doing what he is doing because he is doing it right. His body has become so adapted to burning fat, instead of glucose, that he can go for long periods of time without food with no ill effects. I only wish we had found out about this way of life years ago.

Detoxiter 01-18-2014 06:54 PM

Have you tried a detox for your body it is low carb. But it will also help take all the harmful toxins out of your body. This is very helpful to clean your system out and lose weight faster. If you are interested in a good detox go HERE!

lumpy788 01-19-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by kananaka (Post 102481)

I've been following a 1500-1600 calorie diet for a couple of months, and I've managed to lose a whopping 4 pounds.

But the most reason I need a low carb diet is because the effect sugar -- or anything that dissolves to sugars -- have on my bladder.

Even eating the relatively low carbs (around 100) that I kept with the calorie-restricted diet plays havoc with my bladder, so I thought I'd try eating very low carb, so today I took in about 25 carbs. (I know it isn't Atkins induction-level, but I have to be realistic about how I eat, and use what I have at home.)

When I took my blood sugar after swimming for an hour (three hours after a breakfast of eggs and bacon, but before eating lunch), my blood sugar was 135.

I forgot to take a reading the rest of the day, but when I took my blood sugar at almost bedtime (and therefore almost-time-to-take-my-dose-of-insulin) it was 211!

I'm guessing my body is releasing glucose like crazy to counteract the fact that I'm not putting any in through my stomach, but what do I do?

If I eat foods with any carbohydrates to speak of, my bladder rebels. If I eat absolutely NO carbohydrates, my blood sugar peaks, which will release sugar into my bladder, and it rebels.

(For what it's worth, I'm a 60-year old woman, with insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes since 2009 -- diabetes since 2004 or so. I'm moderately active.)

I can tell you from personal experience because my diabetic condition was discovered right after I graduated college and I've been fighting it for 20 years. When you first hop on low carb diet it takes some time to pull your blood sugar down.

Case in point, once again this holiday, I let my diet go a little bit. I continued taking all my meds, but if I don't eat strict, my blood sugar gravitates to the upper 100s - low 200s range. This is the case even while using time released insulin, metformin and glipizide. I started eating strict again on 1/1/2014. By strict I mean 1600 calories a day with total carb intake of less than 45g. I also started working out again. For the first full week, my glucose was still riding between 130 and 160. It remained that way for half of the next week. It wasn't until this past wednesday that my sugar dropped down. I am now waking up with glucose readings of 75 - 85 and during the day, even after eating something, I don't go above 130, I usually hover 100 - 110. I also started the year at 215lb and I'm already down to 209. I know a chunk of that is water weight, but it still feels good.

I've discovered that as I've gotten older, my body becomes more and more sensitive to sugar, and each time I screw up my strict diet (which is multiple times a year) it is harder to get back on it. When I'm eating well, I don't eat out with the minor exception of picking up a chopped salad from Subway if i'm out running a lot of errunds and I get hungry. Around the house I eat salads with ground beef or chicken, some cheese, ranch dressing and sometimes cashews and some other veggies. I measure EVERYTHING I fix to eat at the house so I can accurately track things on Fitday. I try to exercise 3 - 4 days a week that includes some resistance training. For cardio I'm following a sprint distance triathlon training program because completing one has always been a dream of mine, and i think this summer is going to be it. I also eat a fair bit of scrambled eggs, sirloin, chicken breasts, pork, green veggies every day and any nuts that are not peanuts. Keep up the hard work and I hope you figure things out.

lumpy788 01-19-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by bikehikerun (Post 103607)
I've had success with low carbing and with a 3-day "fat fast" to jump start from a plateau, but I don't have type 2 Diabetes! A few of my friends do, so I know ketosis is not good for them, but didn't understand until I read up on it here --

Diabetic ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No diet is worth dying for!

Ketosis is a lot different then ketoacidosis. Ketosis is the normal condition that your body can enter when there isn't much glucose in your blood and it starts converting keytones in your blood from digested fat for energy as opposed to straight glucose.

Ketoacidosis is a poisonous/dangerous condition that diabetics can enter when there blood sugar is consistently so high that the body can not get the glucose out of the blood quick enough that the body then starts relying for keytones in the blood for energy. With the body's normal metabolism screwed up, keytones continue to build to dangerous levels which poison the body which can lead to coma and other complications. This condition is usually caused by not having enough insulin in your system or having way too much sugar.

Ketosis when eating low carb is a controlled process and is meant to occur while maintaining proper blood sugar levels.

reneeleger 01-27-2014 04:06 AM

I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins and my diabetes disappeared. I spend a lot of time on FB motivating others now. To be honest, that's hard to answer without knowing all you'd eaten, including sauces. You know, a simple barbecue sauce you may not think to count can have 20 grams of sugar! Yikes! My blood sugar dropped like a rock.

joann1264 02-09-2014 12:13 AM

New to this atkins forum. i DId 2 weeks induction, lost 4 lbs, two weeks adding and no more weight loss. I am 5', weigh 122, goal is 115. up to 25 carbs, getting very discouraged. what is three day fat load??

weightloser1234 02-12-2014 05:21 PM

good that's perfect. you are kicking the right approach dear! just continue it....

weightloser1234 03-10-2014 09:50 PM

It is good for you. I really appreciate this.;)

Maryrash 04-14-2014 10:29 AM

Inspiration for us all

Originally Posted by reneeleger (Post 105292)
I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins and my diabetes disappeared. I spend a lot of time on FB motivating others now. To be honest, that's hard to answer without knowing all you'd eaten, including sauces. You know, a simple barbecue sauce you may not think to count can have 20 grams of sugar! Yikes! My blood sugar dropped like a rock.

Wow,awesome! You surely know what you are doing. I have done Atkins twice in14 years. Worked very well lost 60 gained back 80 then lost 70. now I gained 35 back.Trying really hard but it is slow going.My maintenance carbs are only 25-30 then I start gaining. I surely wish I had support from someone like you.I hope this is right.First time I posted ever.

abdelfattah 04-16-2014 10:02 PM

good that's perfect. you are kicking the right approach dear! just continue it.... ;)

edickturpin 04-28-2014 05:51 AM

try lowcarbdiabetics site all you need to no

Fitandhealthycarol 05-01-2014 12:46 AM

Low carb does not mean "no carb." I am type 2 diabetic and have to keep my carbs under control if I want my blood sugar under control. It's as simple as that. I could increase my meds, but why? So I can eat bread? I have known a few people who have cut back on carbs, exercised, lost weight and no longer have to take their meds. I want to be one of those people. Eating starchy carbs makes me feel bloated, tired, sleepy and all around miserable. Each person has to test their blood sugar regularly to know what foods spike their blood sugar and which ones they can eat in moderation. There is no hard and fast rules, as we are all different and our bodies handle food differently.

Sweetie2014 06-02-2014 09:14 PM

Hi Usemyotheraddy,

can I ask you, if you are familiar with the atkins what do you think of GI diet. I have been trying to get an full understanding of it. It makes a lot of sense but there is so much to learn.

cheers,

moek 07-02-2014 10:53 PM

Ideal Protein

I've been following Ideal Protein since the end of January and I've managed to lose 29 lbs - I have a few more to go to reach goal - it hasn't been too bad to follow - I stopped doing it for a month and could see my scale slowly start creeping back up - I'm determined to follow this through - and will follow maintenance etc when I get there.

Maureen

Ryan.W 07-07-2014 04:56 AM

Low carb diet is really good diet I try it once and must again.

jenniferhiv6 07-10-2014 04:31 AM

Diet plans can helps you to "Do not gain more"
But when it comes to loose weight by diet plan, it doesn't work so rapidly as we expect. My opinions are same for Low Carb Diet.
But you can go for it if you're not too heavy.

Ryan.W 07-11-2014 06:35 AM

I am new in this subject and want to know all about this diet and all about hcg stuff.

Anne3091 07-31-2014 09:16 PM

Its a good deal to follow low crab diet as it will not only help you lose weight but wil satisfy your hunger as well.

Russell1974 08-23-2014 02:46 AM

I have been doing low carb for 5 years. You need to remember that your body does still function correctly at times. I spent my first year of low carb with low blood sugars, but at times, I would have very high blood sugars. Your body will try to produce glucose if your blood sugar gets low, and Insulin if they get high. Your meds are also doing this job too, so your blood sugars are going to be all over the place. You are manipulating your blood sugar by eating less foods that spike blood sugars, and still taking meds that also lower your blood sugars.

It took me 1 year to get off meds, after figuring how to keep BG below 120 mg/dl. After getting off the meds, I stay in the 80-110 range ( for 4 years ) without a lot of work. Medicine complicates things.

Also, I would suggest you post a menu for the day, many times we think we are doing low carb, but are eating foods that spike our BG. Especially LC products, and sugar alcohols, but also SF foods, and diet pop.

Use your meter, and when you get a spike in BG, look at the ingredients of the meal you ate before. Something in that meal spiked your BG, and you shouldn't be eating that.

Anne3091 08-27-2014 06:14 PM

low carb diet

Hi
What is Low Carb Diet?
What are its benefits?
Is it helpful in losing weight or something?

Smilesnsunshine 08-28-2014 02:21 AM

Anne3091. I have struggled with the whole "low carb diet" maddness. I have lost much weight (and gained it back) on the famous Atkins diet. Some have had much success with this diet (me being one of them) however once you lose the weight and you go back to old eating habits of higher carbs the weight does come back on and MORE. Lower carb diet help those those who are indeed addicted to sugars and starches. Moderation is key I woul have to state.

Anne3091 08-29-2014 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Smilesnsunshine (Post 110820)
Anne3091. I have struggled with the whole "low carb diet" maddness. I have lost much weight (and gained it back) on the famous Atkins diet. Some have had much success with this diet (me being one of them) however once you lose the weight and you go back to old eating habits of higher carbs the weight does come back on and MORE. Lower carb diet help those those who are indeed addicted to sugars and starches. Moderation is key I woul have to state.

That's really kind of you. I am definitely going to try this, so true, so that diet is specially for me because I love sugar in sweet products such chocolates and all. :)

dia1234 10-28-2014 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by kananaka (Post 102481)

Your Tread is very appreciative and good to read.I totally agree with you. A low Card Diet is used to reduce weight because it contains low carbohydrates. Low Crab diets have also some good health Benefits like reduce risk of Cancer,Diabetes and Metabolic syndrome.