Notices

Low Carb Diet?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by usemyotheraddy
Please contact me, I am also 60 and I see some danger signs in your post. I have been on Atkins since the age of 17 and know this diet inside and out. There are some things I read in your post that are very dangerous. First of all you will starve your brain by eating no carbs, and to accomplish eating no carbs, you'd have to eat only lard. You don't want to be in severe diabetic ketosis, and if you're doing this diet correctly, you'd be off meds in 3 months tops. I am happy to assist you in anyway possible. I have maintained a weight loss of 100 lbs. I am a nutritionist and consultant on another site; and have helped hundreds lose weight, for free, because I don't want to read posts like this.

I don't want to see you hurt yourself further. Carbs cannot affect your bladder in anyway whatsoever. I think you need to see a professional about that. You should be eating every 3 hours with diabetes and in general. You are definitely doing something wrong. How do you suppose blood sugar can peak if you're not eating sugar or carbohydrates, which convert to sugar? Doesn't make sense. I will help you privately, as what you're doing is all wrong and you're in danger of organ shut down. If you are not losing one lb minimum, you are doing something wrong.

Even during a plateau you will lose inches and then have a large loss of weight. You're always losing inches, even when your weight stalls, because you're building muscle.
Hello, Since you are very familiar with Atkins, could you suggest some breakfast options, just started and already struggling.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

My husband is Type 2 Diabetic (diet controlled) and we follow the Primal way of eating. Go to marksdailyapple.com to find out all you need to know. When he goes for his diabetic assessment his doctor is delighted with his results and tells him to keep on doing what he is doing because he is doing it right. His body has become so adapted to burning fat, instead of glucose, that he can go for long periods of time without food with no ill effects. I only wish we had found out about this way of life years ago.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
FitDay Member

Have you tried a detox for your body it is low carb. But it will also help take all the harmful toxins out of your body. This is very helpful to clean your system out and lose weight faster. If you are interested in a good detox go HERE!

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-19-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: removed link to website
Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kananaka
I started eating low carb today.

I've been following a 1500-1600 calorie diet for a couple of months, and I've managed to lose a whopping 4 pounds.

But the most reason I need a low carb diet is because the effect sugar -- or anything that dissolves to sugars -- have on my bladder.

Even eating the relatively low carbs (around 100) that I kept with the calorie-restricted diet plays havoc with my bladder, so I thought I'd try eating very low carb, so today I took in about 25 carbs. (I know it isn't Atkins induction-level, but I have to be realistic about how I eat, and use what I have at home.)

The day included a one-mile swim (as three days a week do).

When I took my blood sugar after swimming for an hour (three hours after a breakfast of eggs and bacon, but before eating lunch), my blood sugar was 135.

I forgot to take a reading the rest of the day, but when I took my blood sugar at almost bedtime (and therefore almost-time-to-take-my-dose-of-insulin) it was 211!

I'm guessing my body is releasing glucose like crazy to counteract the fact that I'm not putting any in through my stomach, but what do I do?

If I eat foods with any carbohydrates to speak of, my bladder rebels. If I eat absolutely NO carbohydrates, my blood sugar peaks, which will release sugar into my bladder, and it rebels.

Not eating anything at all is NOT an option!

Anybody have any ideas for me to try?

(For what it's worth, I'm a 60-year old woman, with insulin-dependent type 2 diabetes since 2009 -- diabetes since 2004 or so. I'm moderately active.)
I can tell you from personal experience because my diabetic condition was discovered right after I graduated college and I've been fighting it for 20 years. When you first hop on low carb diet it takes some time to pull your blood sugar down.

Case in point, once again this holiday, I let my diet go a little bit. I continued taking all my meds, but if I don't eat strict, my blood sugar gravitates to the upper 100s - low 200s range. This is the case even while using time released insulin, metformin and glipizide. I started eating strict again on 1/1/2014. By strict I mean 1600 calories a day with total carb intake of less than 45g. I also started working out again. For the first full week, my glucose was still riding between 130 and 160. It remained that way for half of the next week. It wasn't until this past wednesday that my sugar dropped down. I am now waking up with glucose readings of 75 - 85 and during the day, even after eating something, I don't go above 130, I usually hover 100 - 110. I also started the year at 215lb and I'm already down to 209. I know a chunk of that is water weight, but it still feels good.

I've discovered that as I've gotten older, my body becomes more and more sensitive to sugar, and each time I screw up my strict diet (which is multiple times a year) it is harder to get back on it. When I'm eating well, I don't eat out with the minor exception of picking up a chopped salad from Subway if i'm out running a lot of errunds and I get hungry. Around the house I eat salads with ground beef or chicken, some cheese, ranch dressing and sometimes cashews and some other veggies. I measure EVERYTHING I fix to eat at the house so I can accurately track things on Fitday. I try to exercise 3 - 4 days a week that includes some resistance training. For cardio I'm following a sprint distance triathlon training program because completing one has always been a dream of mine, and i think this summer is going to be it. I also eat a fair bit of scrambled eggs, sirloin, chicken breasts, pork, green veggies every day and any nuts that are not peanuts. Keep up the hard work and I hope you figure things out.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by bikehikerun
I've had success with low carbing and with a 3-day "fat fast" to jump start from a plateau, but I don't have type 2 Diabetes! A few of my friends do, so I know ketosis is not good for them, but didn't understand until I read up on it here --

Diabetic ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No diet is worth dying for!
Ketosis is a lot different then ketoacidosis. Ketosis is the normal condition that your body can enter when there isn't much glucose in your blood and it starts converting keytones in your blood from digested fat for energy as opposed to straight glucose.

Ketoacidosis is a poisonous/dangerous condition that diabetics can enter when there blood sugar is consistently so high that the body can not get the glucose out of the blood quick enough that the body then starts relying for keytones in the blood for energy. With the body's normal metabolism screwed up, keytones continue to build to dangerous levels which poison the body which can lead to coma and other complications. This condition is usually caused by not having enough insulin in your system or having way too much sugar.

Ketosis when eating low carb is a controlled process and is meant to occur while maintaining proper blood sugar levels.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins and my diabetes disappeared. I spend a lot of time on FB motivating others now. To be honest, that's hard to answer without knowing all you'd eaten, including sauces. You know, a simple barbecue sauce you may not think to count can have 20 grams of sugar! Yikes! My blood sugar dropped like a rock.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

New to this atkins forum. i DId 2 weeks induction, lost 4 lbs, two weeks adding and no more weight loss. I am 5', weigh 122, goal is 115. up to 25 carbs, getting very discouraged. what is three day fat load??
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM
FitDay Member

good that's perfect. you are kicking the right approach dear! just continue it....
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
FitDay Member

It is good for you. I really appreciate this.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Inspiration for us all

Originally Posted by reneeleger
I've lost 210 pounds on Atkins and my diabetes disappeared. I spend a lot of time on FB motivating others now. To be honest, that's hard to answer without knowing all you'd eaten, including sauces. You know, a simple barbecue sauce you may not think to count can have 20 grams of sugar! Yikes! My blood sugar dropped like a rock.
Wow,awesome! You surely know what you are doing. I have done Atkins twice in14 years. Worked very well lost 60 gained back 80 then lost 70. now I gained 35 back.Trying really hard but it is slow going.My maintenance carbs are only 25-30 then I start gaining. I surely wish I had support from someone like you.I hope this is right.First time I posted ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.