Notices

learning the ropes

Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

Red face learning the ropes

Evening everybody im new to fitday. Im hoping there will be women on here who understand what its like to worry about their weight every second of everyday!!! May sound OTT but this is really what im going through and want the support from others to help this become a matter of the past.
Forgot to add i live in England with my partner and two children- Joshua age 7 and Caitlin age 5.
I lost 3 st with weightwatchers last year but put a few pounds back on. Seem to have lost my will power-giving in too easily temptation (easily done when surrounded by kids treats!!!!!).
I want to lose another 2 stone to get to MY ideal weight-10st 7lbs!!
The problem is i obsess so much its taking over my life and im allowing it to rule my life. To me its the end of the world if i eat a choccy bar and i beat myself up all week, im sick of feeling like this and taking it out on people who are closest to me.
Id really like some help and support in getting to goal and i will give back any of my own advice the best i can.
Thankyou for reading my introduction and i look forward to reading your much appreciated replies.

Last edited by traceymc1985; 05-02-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

I completely understand. I think about my uncomfortable body, my weight, or food almost every single moment of every single day. I'm changing that, now, though. I want the most that I can get out of life and sitting on the couch all day, stuffing my face and feeling ashamed is not the way to go about it. So far, I've found a lot of great support here, and I'm sure you will too! Good luck on your journey!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
FitDay Member

Thankyou so much for replying so quickly-your message gave me a few tears. I suppose just the fact there are others out there who feel the same as i do. I too agree that this is the start to a happier life for both of us!! Thanx again
Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

Oh honey I feel your pain on so many levels. I think the best thing about fitday is that it helps us all make better decisions. That being said, if you need a chocolate bar, you need a chocolate bar, so make a plan so it fits into your diet. Cut out part of your afternoon snack or plan for a smaller portion of dinner and eat the chocolate bar. Then after, you say "self, that was a fantastic choccy bar, now let's go for a brisk 20-30 minute walk to burn some of it off". The walk will burn some calories, generate some endorphins and take the steam out of your self-anger. Many of the folks here on the forum plan their calories around a small daily dose of chocolate. Personally I've been making what I call a "muscle mocha" every morning, which takes a bite out of the chocolate cravings and gives me a measure of control when faced with temptations. It's just coffee with skim milk and chocolate protein powder, but it's way yummy, about 100 calories and LOADED with protein.

On the kiddie food issue, I've decided to limit the junk food my kids have access to. What's good for the goose is good for the goslings. So we keep a big bowl of fruit on the counter, we don't buy candy at checkout, cookies and cake must be homemade, if they want a junk food snack they have to eat something healthy first, etc etc. It's taken time to get them on board, but we're making progress. Hopefully what they learn in my kitchen will keep them fit for life.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

thankyou for your message it made me feel much better. I know i can do it as ive lost 3 stone so far but i need to get myself back in line before i put too much of it back on. I know im way too hard on myself and i put too much pressure on myselfto be the perfect dieter-i know now this is impossible!!! (especially long-term)
With some more positive thinking and help from the forum im determined to overcome my personal fat demons and be the happy,bubbly me i once was!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Tracey,

Beleive it or not you took the first step, by joining Fitday. Your not alone. I wouldn't beat myself too much for having 1 candy bar out of the whole week. I think that's progress in itself. Be happy it was only 1 day and you have the rest of the week to burn off that candy bar plus more calories.

I was once feeling down on myself (even though my husband always said I look beautiful to him). But It's not the same. He has grown to love me over the years. But I know what my body is capable of looking like if I tried harder at it. I also have 3 children.

One day I was donating blood for the first time and 5 days later I received a call from the blood bank saying my cholesterol was high. Boy was that an eye opener. 2 of my children are mentally disabled and I wanted to be there for them and take care of them for as long as the lord will let me. But I have to help myself along the way too.

So, I decided to go whole grain (bread, cereal, pasta, tortillas, crackers, etc.), brown rice instead of white, I boil my eggs, I mainly bake my meats (I try to eat only chicken or fish) I limit my red meat intake, if i need to fry I use olive oil, tons of water, fruits, and veggies. I stopped drinking soda. I also limit my caloric intake to 1200. I also walk 2 times a week for 1 hour and I have a cardio workout dance dvd I do once a week (45 minutes). I've only been doing this for 2 weeks now and during my first week I lost 5 pounds. I haven't weighed myself this week yet.

I did a complete turn around from one day to the next because of my particular situation. But you can start small by walking 30 minutes at least 3-4 times a week. Start eating right by slowly introducing whole wheat or grains in your diet. Drink plenty of water.

We have faith in you and would love for you to keep us updated on your progress. It's a life change for the better. Oh and I put the kiddie food in the bottom cabinet so I don't see as much.

I hope I helped.

Last edited by vickytoria3112; 05-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Dear vickytoria3112,

Be assured that your advice is indeed very helpful! I joined FitDay about a week ago and consider myself a newbie who still experiments with her daily caloric intake and her food and exercise choices. To me (and I'm sure to other newbies as well) your post has been very enlightening and inspirational.

The funny thing is that up until last week I was convinced that making healthy food choices belonged to the range of common sense, but I've only now realized how badly I've eaten in the past. With the help of your post I know a bit better how to improve my eating habits - so thanks for that!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Thankyou so much for your advice and kind words. Just since joining fitday 2 days ago i already feel much more happier in who i am now not just WHEN ive lost my weight. This is all because of the wonderful support network on fitday. I look forward and cant wait to coming on when kids are in bed when i can read and type without mum,mum,mum every minute.
Being a member has helped me stay incredibly focused through the day and im slowly breaking the habits i had once already shifted from my daily routine.
Ive stopped weighing myself daily as it makes me fret more which leads to my bad moods. This helps to restore my bond with my partner and my kids. Already been told there were flashes of the old me today who he fell in love with. That really meant alot and put a big smile on my face.
Ive realised that a happy me means a more calmer home and i can rest assured that when my children are fast asleep im content in knowing that ive been the wonderful,kind mummy that they deserve.
THANKYOU again to everybody who left me a reply- you dont understand the difference its making to my life xx

Last edited by traceymc1985; 05-04-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling and puncuation mistake
Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

I think the very best thing that has come out of my journey to good health is that I've discovered that a healthy mom = a healthy family. That thought alone is what helps me lace up my workout shoes every morning.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a newbie to fitday, too. I have counted calories b4, but it was much harder. Even the program on my phone was not as easy as Fitday. Anyway, I've been using it for one week and the thing I've noticed most is that it is so easy to call it quits. I have that easy graph that shows my carbs, protein, etc. That helps me to say, hmmm no to extra rice and yes to more chicken or as simply as I'm at my limit, so NO to my husbands popcorn habit. Popcorn, simple, high in fiber, keep the butter low, isn't too bad, BUT can easily put me over the limit on my calories.

Kiddie treats. I SOOOO know what you mean. I battle that all the time. I have three kids, four if u count my husband and they all (we all) have massive sweet cravings. So, every weekend, if I don't bake, my 15 y/o bakes. Sooooo hard to resist. Today, I am trying to fit in some decadence(will leave out detail so not to tempt someone else)!!! I've got it in there, but I don't know if I can keep it there. Depends on how hungry I get at the end of the day. It requires skipping a meal. I'm not sure how much it will be worth it. Sometimes, I have to say, it is absolutely worth it. Others, not so much. I'm wondering if I get my husband to hide it, will forget about it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.