View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #74 (permalink)
episode2011
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartz View Post
... I usually go for: 1 cup of whole grain cereal of some type, and add some fruit. Bananas, blueberries( my favorite) or something. (I look for cereal with less than 10 grams sugar per cup, though the recommendation is generally less than 5 gms.) ...
Donna, just this week I discovered a new-to-me cereal. Barbara's High Fiber. Not the most creative name, but it delivers what it promises. It has a bit more sugar than you're looking for, but at 8g/cup, it's not outrageous. Some other nutri-facts: 1 cup serving has 180 calories, 140mg sodium, 180 potassium, 8g sugar, 5g protein and, get this, a whopping 14g fiber. Yep, not a typo -- 14!

It contains a mix of fiber-rich ingredients, including Whole Wheat, Rolled Whole Oats, Wheat Bran, Corn Meal, Oat Hull Fiber (more on that in a minute), Corn Bran and Oat Bran as well as other, all-natural ingredients (sugars, salts, etc). You can see and identify many of the ingredients, which I think is a good thing. Best of all, it's actually tasty (you know and I know, not all better-for-you foods can claim such).

Funny tidbit regarding the Oat Hull Fiber: I bought the cereal at my local grocer but was too lazy to go downstairs and get the box in order to quote the nutrition info for this post. Instead, I looked it up on Amazon. Amazon lists the ingredients and this one popped out at me -- Oat HELL Fiber. That gave me a chuckle (hope that didn't get Fitday censored...) .

Anyway, thought I'd mention Barbara's, if you're looking for something new to try!

50-something female, 5'6"
Overall Goal = Lose 75 pounds
  • Feb 1: Restarted... again... for the umpteenth time
  • Status as of July 15 = 20.5 pounds released (even though this body is quite reluctant to give them up)
episode2011 is offline   Reply With Quote