View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
carolynnq
FitDay Member

I like the South Beach Diet. It's a low-carb diet. Basically, it's cutting out/drastically reducing your consumption of sugar and white flour, and reducing your consumption of foods high on the glycemic index. There's no calorie counting, so it makes it easy to integrate into your life.

My mother was a Type II diabetic. I was using the SBD when she had a stroke and came to live with us. I fed her the same foods I was eating. At her first check up with her doctor, her AC1 level was in the normal range for the first time - and she was able to cut back on the amount of insulin needed. At her second check-up, her AC1 level was at the low end of the normal range and her doctor said I should try to get it up a little.

The book is an interesting read. The first part of the book is about the science behind the diet - but it's easy to understand. The diet itself is very simple. The first two weeks is a bit hard. You're supposed to eat only proteins and vegetables to break the carb-craving cycle. After that, fruits and whole-grain carbs are added in.

There are lots of diets out there that people have had good success with. I think it's just a matter of trying one and seeing if it works for you - both in terms of accomplishing any short-term goals and being one that you're happy to live with.
1st Goal 145 lbs 5/25
New goal 140
carolynnq is offline   Reply With Quote