What food is actually healthy? >

What food is actually healthy?

Community
Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default What food is actually healthy?

Happy President's day everyone! After going to the gym, I got home and watched 3 health documentaries.

Food Inc., Killer at Large, and Dirt The Movie.

Without boring you to death, the gist of it was to not eat processed foods and that even the "healthy" stuff in stores like Walmart isn't actually good for you.

So I have one simple question. What food is actually healthy?

Meats have steroids, fruits and vegetables has pesticides, grain based products are saturated with carbohydrates, anything in a can has preservatives, water from the tap has metals and harmful chemicals.

So what should you eat? What should you drink? Where should you get it from?

Hunter
Old 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

Hi!
Food Inc. is terrifying, isn't it!
Everything at the grocery store will have preservatives, pesticides, etc. Unless you want to start your own farm, you may have to accept that you can't avoid it all!
What I am doing is only buying from the outer edge of the grocery store (all your food groups), nothing from the aisles. Meat and cheese from the deli, milk and eggs, fruits and veggies, bakery fresh baked stuff (trying to avoid the bakery desserts though! Soooo good).
If you can afford it, get free-range/organic animal products (meats, eggs, and milk/cheese). Personally, I am afraid of added hormones/steroids rather than pesticides and preservatives. Also, free-range eggs taste better!
Some people swear by the hunter-gatherer diet, or the vegan diet, or other trends. To me this seems like too much money and effort to get all the nutrients you need. Fill up on veggies and fruits as much as you can stand to...
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

I would just stick with meats, veggies and fruits, some grains, no refined sugar or breads. Wash the veggies and fruits off well, don't worry too much about the pesticides in the fruits and veggies, or the steroids in meats, that's about the best you can do. Unless you can afford to buy steroid free, range meats and organic fruits and veggies, even then nothing is guaranteed.

As long as your staying away from processed foods, you're doing a LOT better than most people!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by squibbscr
I would just stick with meats, veggies and fruits, some grains, no refined sugar or breads. Wash the veggies and fruits off well, don't worry too much about the pesticides in the fruits and veggies, or the steroids in meats, that's about the best you can do. Unless you can afford to buy steroid free, range meats and organic fruits and veggies, even then nothing is guaranteed.

As long as your staying away from processed foods, you're doing a LOT better than most people!
Today, I think it's hard to identify one. If one still exist then along the way it will become unhealthy since preservatives will be added, so on and so forth. That is why, we need to eat moderately . That means not too much of this and that. In short, we need balance diet for there are no 100% healthy food.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

According to my experience the natural food is actually healthy like natural protein and nutrition diet when comes to your fitness, if you only want to gain weight or something like that so the steroid and supplements gives you very fast results, but these things are not long lasting they even harm your body internally. I suggest using natural pure diet like meat eggs milk fresh vegetable and fruits.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 05-31-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

This is a topic that I've put a lot of thought into. We don't adhere to any specific diet, we just do the best we can with what is available. I grow what I can, I buy directly from local farmers when I can and we eat simple meals with smaller portions so we can afford healthier food.

Taking what clean, healthy foods that are available to me at a reasonable price and feeding my family for a week is an adventure.

Yep, organic is more expensive, but the cost is not as high as it once was. For example, I can often find organic apples and oranges that are priced the same as conventional produce in season.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Health food is food considered to be beneficial to health in ways that go beyond a normal healthy diet required for human nutrition. Because there is no precise, authoritative definition from regulatory agencies such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, different dietary practices can be considered healthy depending on context.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

I see what you mean but take away all of those things and you aren't left with many, or really any, options. Drinking water and nothing else won't keep you alive.

Steering clear of foods that are processed is a huge step in the right direction, and despite the pesticide notion you can't go wrong with fruit and veg. Let's face it pesticides aside they are still the nutritious foods that your body needs to stay healthy.

You can get meats that are 100% steroid free so you could look into that.

The truth is we can all scare ourselves half to death as to how foods may or may not be slightly inflicted by something, but if they were really that dangerous to you then people would be dropping like flies all around you, and you don't see that happening right?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

I would say to buy your food locally and stay out of the supermarkets as much as possible. My local farmers market sells all kinds of produce in season. All of it is grown organically. I can also get local, grass fed, hormone free beef within 10 minutes of home. The produce I have found to be comparable in price to what I can find in the supermarkets, but the beef is more expensive. I think you (general you) have to decide what is important nutritionally and financially and go from there.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

Fruits, veggies, except avocado's, grains.....stay away from any meats, fish, dairy and cooking oils as much as possible, including olive and canola oils.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.