View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
carolynnq
FitDay Member

Ian, I'm studying Tagalog because one of my daughters-in-law is originally from the Philippines. She came here when she was 12, but she speaks Tagalog with her family. I figured I would learn some both as a matter of respect to her and her family, and when my son & DIL have kids, they may teach the kids (though they were just talking about sending any future kids to French school). My Tagalog has come in handy already though. A lot of nurses here come from the Phillipines. Unfortunately, I had to spend a lot of time in hospitals and nursing homes with different family members over the last 4 years, so I was able to get a little practice in with the nurses and aids.

I've been listening to Pimsleur audio lessons. I've got some books as well, that I look at occasionally. When I first started, I labeled various things in my kitchen with Tagalog labels. Everytime I touched something in the kitchen, I'd say the Tagalog word in my head, so I'm excellent with kitchen and food words! I've let my studying slide though...I should make it more of a priority if I'm going to do it.
1st Goal 145 lbs 5/25
New goal 140
carolynnq is offline   Reply With Quote