Notices

Average Calorie intake on low carb diet

Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Average Calorie intake on low carb diet

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question: I am consuming about 2500 calories a day - I am 5'9" female and not active. I am loosing weight on a ketogenic diet, but sometimes I wonder if I should adjust the amount of calories a bit.

For those of you succeeding at Aktins/low carb diets, can you please let me know your average calorie intake for your height/sex/age/activity level? Has your daily calorie been set by your hunger or are you restricting calories on purpose?

It would be great to get a good pool of answers that I can analyze - maybe creating a regression equation!

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry I can't be of any help, Atkins is not my diet. You might want to run through the Weight Goal routine on fitday and see what it recommends for you. 2,500 seems on the high side, the type of nutrients you eat does play a part in weight loss, but maintaining a calorie deficit has more of an impact on my weigh loss than keeping the proteins high.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you! Fitday has me burning 3200 calories a day, which I wonder if it is too much for me. I am going to try to stay at 2000 and see what happens.

Thanks for responding!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

I did Atkin for 2 weeks. Atkin is counting carbs, not calories. So I just eat when I am hungry, but I also log it in fit day. Turn out, I actually eat less calories when I did Atkin. 1200cals average. when I just counting calories, 1200 is too little, I am too hungry. I think high protein diet make you feel fuller longer or something. But after 2 weeks I felt cramp, so I stop. I do atkin to just break my plateau. I will try again this week, bc seem like I am stall again.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello

What is slow burn weightlifting?

I've been on every diet known to man and have even had weight-loss surgery. The diet I have had the most success with is the diabetic diet. I am not diabetic, but the balance of keeping sugar low, yet having carbs, low-fat and heart healthy proteins has worked beyond what other diets have done. Hopefully, this will be the one that does the trick and will provide the healthy eating lifestyle I need to win the war and not regain the loss.

I eat between 1300-1500 per day. Once upon a time, like you I looked at what fitday says I should be eating to lose. However, it's too much for me in the long term. If I eat closer to the amount that I'm supposed to have once I'm closer to my ideal weight, the loss of food won't happen. It was cold turkey for me, and I'm doing really well.

I work out 3-6 times a week on a treadmill at an incline and weight machines. I also like Sharon Mann who is on fit tv. She has a variety of workouts. I like her boxing and Pilates.

I'm not saying your choice of diets won't work. Just be open and don't get discouraged if it is hard to stay with or the weightloss comes to a stand still. These are common things on every single diet. I'm not even sure we need to just stay on one diet. Whatever keeps us losing is good. I'm just trying to find my way to permanent eating habits.

Good luck. Hang in there, and keep it up!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

Shibaluvr - slowburning is a way of lifting weights - you do each rep very very slow (30sec to 1 min to do one rep) at a weight in which you can only do about 6 or 7 reps. I do not know if it works, but i read it helps people who cannot exercise due to too much weight and injuries like I have. Good idea on eating at my ideal weight maintenance calorie level. I will try that! Thanks.

Lastri - Atkins curbs hunger because fats keep you satified longer than carbs, I think. Even though it is not a calorie counting, amount of calories in this diet matter, just like in any other diets. However, ketones produced on an atkins diet are supposed to suppress your appetite, thus you eat less calories anyway.

In my experience, I am in full ketosis and still I am eating 2500 calories! So much for hunger suppression.

Thanks both for replying.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Here you go:

A pound is 3,500 calories, so if you are eating 2,500 a day, it is going to take a couple days to lose even one pound. If you do some minor eating on healthy snacks between main meals, your metabolism stays running. At main meals, taking out pasta, rice, cereal, bread, and potatoes and replacing them with fruits, vegetables, and meats cuts back on your calorie count a great deal. Exercise is never fun, but if you just go on a walk or run 2-3 times a week, that would help a lot. This process, if followed correctly, could help you lose a pound per day. This is what I am doing. And having started just yesterday, I am already feeling healthy. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
FitDay Member

A low-carb diet restricts the amount of carbohydrates you can eat. Carbohydrates are a type of macronutrient found in many foods and beverages. Most carbohydrates occur naturally in plant-based foods, such as grains. Food manufacturers also add carbohydrates to processed foods in the form of starch or added sugar.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM
FitDay Member

10-12 times your current body weight in calories. ie: if you weigh 150lbs, you should consume between 1500-1800 calories a day. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by MissStress
10-12 times your current body weight in calories. ie: if you weigh 150lbs, you should consume between 1500-1800 calories a day. 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat.
I've found that 10-12 times your bodyweight in calories is about 'maintenance level'.

If you consider that we don't capture 100% of what we eat, or perhaps are off by some amount, I'd aim for 10x bodyweight, and weigh yourself three times a week. If you don't lose or gain, you've hit maintenance, which is a very important number to know.

Why? Because, dieting is a game of inches and ounces. If you know maintenance and can tweak some food (maybe a less fatty protein, or reducing some treat in half) you can take small steps which add up over time.

Trying to take big steps can be self-defeating.