Notices

The Scale is My Best Friend

Old 04-23-2010, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Scale is My Best Friend

When it comes to maintaining my weight, my best friend is the good old standard scale. I know that many people prefer not to weigh in everyday, but for me, it's what works. Now, if I hop on the scale and it varies by a couple of pounds from one day to the next, I don't freak out. You shouldn't either. That's normal and to be expected (extra water weight, clothing, etc.) But if I jump on the scale and realize that my weight is steadily creeping up, I immediately jump into action and start reducing my caloric intake and working out a little more than usual.

I did not realize how important it was for me to monitor weight until a few months ago. I had moved to a new area and in doing so ended up leaving behind my smaller items including my scale. I honestly felt I could do without and never really worried about my weight going up. To make a long story short, in a period of about 3-4 months my weight jumped up 20 pounds from 130 to 150 (bad eating habits & no exercise). The worst thing about this all, is that I hadn't noticed. I'll admit, I knew that I had gained a few pounds, but I figured it was a minor 5 or so pounds. I outgrew some of my clothes (why is all of my clothes shrinking?), but aside from that, I pretty much saw no significant changes when looking at myself in the mirror.

The harsh reality of my weight gain sank in when I went in for a basic physical (my boyfriend never even mentioned this to me!). I could not believe I had let myself gain the extra weight. That same day I turned to fit day to assist me in losing the weight. I also went to the store and purchased a scale! Along with monitoring my food intake and weighing myself frequently, not only have I been able to lose most of the weight, I have also been able to keep off that weight. I'm currently at 134 and shooting for a few more pounds, but overall, I'm happy to be able to fit into my jeans again (turns out they hadn't shrunk afterall).

I started working out in January, so my weight loss has been gradual. Just as any good weight loss program, it takes time. If you're patient, you can not only lose the weight but also maintain at a weight smaller than where you started. If you're like me, make sure you monitor your weight frequently (even if it's just once a week). It will keep you on your toes and really help you from avoiding situations such as mine. Good luck everyone!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

I feel that way about the scale too. I weigh myself a couple of times every day. First thing in the morning and then again a few minutes later on the Wii Fit Plus. I like the weigh in on the Wii because it records it for you, so there is no forgetting it day to day. I also sometimes weigh myself at night before I go to bed. Although that is probably my heaviest weight of the day I can sometimes tell what I'll weigh in the morning, because I know about how much I'll drop overnight.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

I wiegh in first thing in the morning before I eat or drink anything (also unclothed). I find that weighing in at the same time provides the most stable baseline to work off of.

What is kinda fun to do is weigh in right before bed and then right when you wake up. Invariably I will lose about 1 -1.5 pounds during the night.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

I weigh myself daily as well. First thing in the morning without clothes for consistency. I even started recording it daily with fitday. I'll admit that there was a day when it mysteriously went up 2 pounds from the day before that I just wanted to "forget" to post. I didn't though and found it even more helpful to see the graph with it's ocassional spike so I don't freak out and in the end gain a better understanding of how my weight fluctuates.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM
FitDay Member

My scale was my best friend until today....We've had a rather rude falling out. You see...it is just not holding up it's end of the bargain anymore. I promised it I would eat healthy and not binge and it promised me it would continue to show smaller numbers. It also promised me it would show me 199.9 by may 1 (still 202.2). I can only surmise that it has turned on me now and is no longer my friend. We will see if we can repair our strained friendship over the next couple of days.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:49 AM
FitDay Member

haha @ dizzy, love the sense of humor. Hopefully the scale starts moving for you again!

I weigh myself at least once a week, first thing in the morning before I've had anything to eat or drink, or before any morning workouts. Granted the days it goes up a little tend to put me in a bad mood, but I just try to channel it into my workout and forget about it.

Just this morning it had a sweet surprise for me. I'd been on vacation a couple days last week and while I was still making an effort to get some exercise, my eating wasn't so great. I chalk it up to not being able to pack protein-heavy, healthy snacks (they require refrigeration) and resorting to the healthiest crackers/pretzels/granola bars I could pack. My daily diet is relatively light on the carbs, so I felt a little bloated for days afterward and avoided the scale. I'm back on track now though and feeling better than ever!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

verry funny Dizzy!

ièm glad ièm not the only one, i was also weighing myself first thing in the morning and a before bed. ièm trying to get out the habit now, but, i gave in yesterday and today and was pleasantly surprised with what i saw both day! i have dropped 1.4 lbs in 2 days!!!!!! amazing!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Red face

Good for you girls...Keep it up. I too weigh in the morning....every morning (several times actually; looking for the smallest number)..

I'm so impatient...I want it and I want it NOW!

I'll keep you posted as to when my scale and I are back on speaking terms.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dizzy_44
Good for you girls...Keep it up. I too weigh in the morning....every morning (several times actually; looking for the smallest number)..

I'm so impatient...I want it and I want it NOW!

I'll keep you posted as to when my scale and I are back on speaking terms.
Your scale speaks? Wow, it's a good thing mine doesn't or I might get mad at it and jump up and down and break it's digital face or something. But my scale is very quiet, it knows better than to display my weight, and then have the gall to read it to me.

I want it, and I want it NOW too. I feel like I've been doing this 4 million years, but it's really only been 4 months.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

i'm thinking maybe i should give a cold shoulder to my scale???!
the number on the scale was showing my weight @ 147.6 yesterday, this morning however, it showed 150.4
i'm sure i didn't go food crazy over the weekend, i think i ate properly and did some exercise too, so i don't think it was nice to show me heavier this morning. but again, the dinner was a bit salty(the way i like it) and i drank so much water afterword, could that be the reason?
i'll give the scale another chance to make it up to me tomorrow morning, hope it fixes it's attitude!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.