View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kathy13118
Super Moderator

Default Obstacle #16

Redefining.

If you eat 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, homemade with plenty of cheese and butter, and you don't count calories, or watch calories, or appreciate the effects of calories, do those calories count as a meal or a snack?

These luscious sandwiches were made when a formerly overweight blogger was growing up. She ate them alone, and nobody knew she ate them. She says that eating these sandwiches contributed to her obesity and that is hard to argue with. She ate dinner as usual and no one ever knew she ate that snack.

I am sure that I have very similar episodes in my past (even the not-too-distant past) but instead of thinking the secrecy of the eating was the problem, I think the naming of the eating is the problem. It's not a snack because it's not meal-time. Because calories count, and there are more than a few calories to two grilled cheese sandwiches (even one grilled cheese sandwich), it's a meal.

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? If there are two luscious grilled cheese sandwiches on your plate and then you eat them and they are gone, but it's a mere 3 p.m. in the afternoon and you ate lunch at 12, and dinner is at 5, did those sandwiches make a meal? I say yes. I say, that was a very early and a very caloric, BTW, dinner. Maybe it took less than 5 minutes to eat, even two minutes, but it was a meal.

I say that now. I don't think I ever said that to myself in the past. If I did, I didn't keep that in my head long enough to help me through the next snack attack.
Kathy13118 is online now   Reply With Quote