View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wolpertenn
FitDay Member

Question Advice on losing fat with low TDEE

Height: 5' 4"

I'll begin with my history, I suppose.

So for the past 4 years up until a few months ago, I had been living poorly. Unbelievably poorly, really, since the majority of my diet consisted of cookies, hot chocolates, potatoes, and toast and I consumed very little of it (roughly 1000 calories daily). But I got away with it up until just last year in September when I decided to take up baking which, unfortunately, left me 5 pounds heavier by the middle of October. Now, I was never really that happy with my body fat percentage, but I had now reached 110 pounds and was finally motivated to get up and start exercising again. By the beginning of November, having put no real research into fat loss, I decided to eat a much healthier and more diverse diet by removing all junk food and starting up Rushfit, a program similar to P90X and Insanity.

This got me to 105 pounds before plateauing, but I wasn't quite satisfied with my abdomen. My mom had bought me Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes for Christmas and upon reading all the studies I felt inspired to try low-carb dieting "for two weeks just to see if any changes occur". Instead I ended up sticking with it from January to today, reaching 101 pounds by the beginning of April (also thanks to some cardio in March).

Thing is, about three weeks ago I stopped exercising and gained 7 pounds despite decreasing my caloric intake further. I honestly didn't think that exercising would have such an impact on my weight considering it's relatively low and therefore results in lower calories burned; I only intended on sustaining muscle mass. But evidently I did something wrong, and I'm certain it wasn't my diet since it didn't change. I get the impression my BMR and TDEE aren't really 1300 and 1600, but something much, much lower, perhaps due to my history. Now I'm eating less than 700 calories a day and started up Rushfit again to get that deficit I want but I'm starting to get hunger pains and I can't see myself doing this for a month, never mind three like I had intended.

Basically, I don't know how to get a deficit without inflicting physical pain and henceforth hindering my exercise efforts (maintenance is also a concern). Yes, I'm "underweight", but my body fat is around 19%. Any and all advice is welcome.

Some extra facts:
- my diet currently is made up of eggs, vegetables (carrots, broccoli, peppers), and lean meats (I cut out the cheese, nuts, and salads just to be safe)
- I consume a minimum of 4 cups of water daily
- my current form of cardiovascular exercise is walking, for 90 minutes minimum daily

Last edited by Wolpertenn; 05-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Wolpertenn is offline   Reply With Quote