Notices

Trans Fats?

Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Default Trans Fats?

I am new here; forgive me if this has been asked and answered previously.

The FitDay database shows Saturated, Poly, and Mono fats, but not trans fats. Is that correct? Is there a reason for this?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Trans-fat is not natural, it's man-made, and it's used to enhance the shelf life of food items. Trans fat depends on the amount used in the food product itself, best bet is to read the caloric label.

You do not want to eat that stuff, at all. Avoid at all costs. Don't eat it and you wont have to worry about it
Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I enter all of my my foods in my food log so I can track my cals, fats, nutrition, etc. I know, for example, that a McDonald's hamburger has trans fats. If I enter this item in my daily log, the trans fat grams will not be included. I try to avoid trans fats, but if I eat a food with trans fats, I would like it to appear in my food intake data. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think there's any way to do it on this site. Instead, you just have to make a mental note of how much was consumed (look on the McDonalds website for nutrition facts. Otherwise, just skim the package of a food for "hydrogenated" and then assume 0.4 grams if it says 0 on the nutrition label). The reccommended daily maximum is 2grams of trans fat per day, but most nutritionists agree that the real reccommendable maximum is zero.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trans fats occur naturally, also.
?Natural? Trans Fat Less Harmful than Artificial Version - Harvard Health Publications