View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
tandoorichicken
FitDay Member

The training program looks good. Honestly, building up slowly is the way to go with running; there are no shortcuts to making it to longer distances. To try is to guarantee an injury.

Eating well in college is just a matter of being mindful. Try not to eat the same stuff every day and if there's a salad bar load up on veggies instead of getting stuck in the pizza/pasta/burger loop, which is basically a whole lot of empty calories with a little bit of redeeming tomato sauce or meat tossed in.

Also, since I graduated not too long ago (or so I like to think) I'm not going to deny the fact that there's a social life aspect to this as well. Putting aside the broader health considerations for a second, drinking beer is essentially the same as drinking liquid bread. Most people wouldn't eat an entire loaf of bread in one sitting; drinking a sixer in a night basically amounts to the same. The hard stuff is lower in calories but cocktails can be sugar bombs, so watch out for those. If I could do it all over again, I'd stick to 2 - 3 neat bourbons and nurse them over the course of the typical party, about 4-5 hours. Occasional beers are fine.

Good luck!

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote