Notices

Running in the cold?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

Question Running in the cold?

So as you all know, it has been freezing lately. Probably the coldest temperatures I have ever experienced in my state (Florida). This makes my lungs and brain almost hurt while I'm jogging.

Is jogging in this temperature ok? And if so, what should I wear? Obviously I wouldn't want to wear gym shorts but I can't really run in pants? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hunter
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Why can't you run in pants?

I wear a hat when it's freezing and a fleece neck gaiter I can pull up to shield my mouth when the air is icy cold.

A ski mask works too.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

I can't help chuckling in New York - How bad can it be in Florida?
But I'm thinking in stereotypes, right?

Runners' World has a preliminary guide:
What to Wear at a Given Temperature | Runner's World & Running Times

They are also promising to revive a "What to Wear" tool, currently not available. I found, however, that their suggestions would leave me uncomfortably warm. My shorts/leggings cut-off temperature is 45F (less if it's not windy).
Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the input guys. And yah I know it's probably not really cold to you x) but for me it is freezing haha. I think I'm gonna grab some lip balm. It has been warming up slightly so hopefully summer will be here soon
Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Banned

Probably you should get a pair of tight running pants , they are more comfortable for running
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
FitDay Member

Just like when you first started running, you'll have to build up slowly to get adapted to running in the cold. The air is typically dryer so your lungs and nostrils will burn if you do too much at one go.

Another important thing is warming up adequately before starting to run. A couple sets of body weight squats, gentle shoulder rotations and neck stretches should be enough to at least get a slow jog going without you pulling or straining anything.