Notices

Fat content?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Fat content?

The foods listed here seem to assume that you add copious amounts of fat when you cook something. I get most of my nutrition information at Nutritiondata.com There, a half cup of cooked dry black beans are 130 calories and .5 grams of fat. Here on Fit day, half a cup of black beans are computed at 154 calories and over 7 grams of fat. What's up with that? I cooked the beans in water, not lard.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
FitDay Member

I only checked one entry for black beans, but in both databases, I see 227 calories for 1 cup of

Beans, black, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt

with .93 gram of fat on Fitday and 1 gram of fat on nutritiondata.

I see NutritionData does give sugar counts - I wish FitDay had that. It seems like the same database is being used as the food descriptors appear to be identical.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lsteller
The foods listed here seem to assume that you add copious amounts of fat when you cook something. I get most of my nutrition information at Nutritiondata.com There, a half cup of cooked dry black beans are 130 calories and .5 grams of fat. Here on Fit day, half a cup of black beans are computed at 154 calories and over 7 grams of fat. What's up with that? I cooked the beans in water, not lard.

You are correct...FitDay does assume, if you just use the "search" feature for foods, that you cook them in fat. It is one of the things that irks me most about the food database.

However, if you use the "Browse" instead of "Search," you can find the option for the food prepared without fat...the browse enables much more specific selections.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default Browse vs. Search

Ah! Thank you very much. I feel a lot better now!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

oh, thanks heaps. I could NOT figure out how my cup of steamed (cooked) broccoli ended up with 5g of fat!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
FitDay Member

Over the last 50 years the percentage of people in most countries who are overweight has increased significantly. This is due to many factors, but NOT because people's fat intake has increased. Over the last five decades the consumption of carbohydrates as a percentage of total calorie consumption has increased dramatically - not fat consumption. Fat consumption does not make your body produce more insulin; carbohydrates do that. The more insulin your produce the more energy your body will store away as fat. When deciding how much fat to consume, remember that the answer is not simple - there are many types of fats, carbohydrates and proteins.