Thread: Hi, I'm new!
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
emilymckelvain
FitDay Member

Hi Shell, it was kind of funny when I determined to start losing weight because I was actually out drinking beer with one of my girlfriends, and I was lamenting about how I'd been too fat to wear my college ring for the last year and a half - geez, what a great way to get motivated hu!

Anyhow, I started by doing the WW Points. I'd done WW about five years previous and had a lot of success with it, but my work schedule had become very erratic, so I had quit working out and was eating meals out a lot and gained a ton of weight.

I think I discovered FitDay around the end of 2008 maybe. To be honest, I've been off and on over time. I was driving home from a weekend out of town and listening to the radio one night. A guy had called in about alcohol addiction and how he had fallen off the wagon, and the host said that failure is often met on the road to success, and he advised really analyzing what you were doing when you were succeeding and what you were doing differently that led to failure. And it just crystalized for me that when I'm diligent about tracking my calories, I lose weight, and when I don't track, I don't lose. Rocket science!

So I've been very diligent about tracking my calories for the last six or seven months.

I'm fortunate to work for a company that employs a full-time food staff that feeds us (for free, yeah!) breakfast and a hot lunch every day. They also keep fresh fruit and tea available all day. Because we rotate through the same meals about every three weeks or so, I've started keeping a list of the most common foods so I can plan ahead based on what we're having. If I didn't do so well with a particular meal last time, I just go heavier on the veggies the next time. Also, I've actually started staying away from the side salad because I can't resist the Ranch dressing!! Unless we have Mexican food or chicken strips and then I make a giant taco salad. They usually serve dessert, too, which is hard to resist, so I try to eat a big enough lunch that I'm not too hungry for dessert. Then I snack on fresh fruit in the afternoon.

Lunch is my biggest meal of the day now, and that's a big change from when it used to be dinner. Also, I always eat breakfast now - usually a big bowl of plain oatmeal with a glass of milk or high fiber cereal. I DO have a hard time figuring out how to add more protein to my breakfast since I'm not preparing it at home. Any tips?

So, nothing new, I guess... just the basics, but that's what works! I have really noticed that now that I'm not eating tons of fast food and sweets, my cravings for the bad stuff are rare - what a blessing! I guess it's true that a balanced diet of whole foods that meets your nutritional needs really does help to eliminate wild cravings!! I usually get hungry late at night, but without the cravings, I don't binge.

My employer is awesome....! And I have to share with y'all something that happened today. One of the guys at work (who I'm not even particularly close to) told me that he could tell I had lost weight and was looking good! He's trying to lose some weight too. I swear there's nothing more validating than having other people notice, is there????!!!!
emilymckelvain is offline   Reply With Quote