Notices

Weight Loss through Weight Lifting?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default well.. yes and no

I've gone from 308 - 279.. and still losing
I'm much stronger than High school...
However I have a routine that allows me to get in and stay at 115-140 BPM for the entire routine. I incorporated 30 minutes for aerobics either before or after weights as well. getting me to 135-160 BPM depending on the activity. I'm using Giant sets with a push pull routine split... the exercise is important of course.. but diet, hydration and rest are at least as important...
Lean muscle burns way more calories than adipose tissue.. I'm running about 1700 calories + - 200... I use a diet log to track it .. and a nutritionist to keep my thinking fresh..

as far back as the 70's they truly big boys used more than weights to get what they needed done .. don't know your age .. but the older you get .. the more critical your specific actions to keep a level of fitness and strength ..IMO
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
FitDay Member

Diet is the answer. There is no other way, period. Lifting is great but EVERY lifter will tell you that your diet and recovery is 80-90% of the game. If you eat like a lifter, weight will come off.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

At 303lbs (assuming you are obese) you don't have to worry much about the details of weight lifting. You need to go to a gym and learn how to lift weights safely. Get your food intake sorted out and make sure you have a protein shake after each workout.
log your weight every week and as long as you are eating properly the weight will come off over time. Your weight will vary a lot due to water retention, stomach contents, etc so don't get too upset about gaining/loosing in the very short term. If you don't loose after a couple of weeks look at your food intake again.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Circuit training

If you don't have time to do cardio. The best routine to lose weight, and build some muscle would be a circuit. Moving from one excercise to another using moderately heavy weights. Such as doing flat bench presses for 10 reps, then bicep curls, then leg lifts then shoulder presses, then low pulley rows, then tricep press downs. The idea is to keep your heart rate up while working each muscle group and giving each group a small rest. This is how I started by doing this routine three to four times a week I spent no more than an hour each time in the gym. Each day I would the same muscle groups but with different exercises. Its a good starting point to build some strength but also strengthen the most important muscle you have.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Rage,

Just wanted to share some info about weight loss and fitness. Most may think that weight loss has to do with cutting down on eating and do lots of exercise. Fighting fat is 80% healthy diet. Eat vegetables to help you feel full, drink plenty of water, get tempting foods out of your sight, stay busy -- you don't want to eat just because you're bored, eat only from a plate, while seated at a table. No grazing in front of the 'fridge. Don't skip meals!

Also getting enough sleep is key, getting 7 hours of sleep or 8 is the ideal time for a good biorhythm. When your biorhythms are off, you end up eating more. When you’re tired you produce more ghrelin, which triggers cravings for sugar and other fat-building foods. Losing sleep can also alter your hormone production, affecting your cortisol levels that cause insulin sensitivity, prime reasons for belly fat.

Some things that can aid you are vitamins, like vitamin C. Besides being a good way to counteract a cold, Vitamin C is also essential for making carnitine, a compound used by the body to turn fat into fuel, making this vitamin your fat burning friend.
You can also take Omega 3s. Some foods that contain this are Brazil nuts, tuna, salmon, flaxseed, walnuts, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. Foods rich in this fat triggers the body and tells it to produce leptin. Leptin is great for appetite suppression, which will help to keep your portions smaller, but leptin also revs up your thyroid output, so, it speeds up your metabolism.

Add that to a good routine of exercise that includes cardio with intense exercises that focus on full-body movements, is a good way to go.

God Bless
Old 03-06-2013, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

I pretty much eat from the time I roll out of bed until the time my head hits the pillow, but it is all metered amounts (measuring spoons/cups/food scale) and it is ALL unprocessed carbs, lean proteins, and raw/steamed fruits/vegetables. I use a couple of health calculators to make sure my intake doesn't exceed my burn. The more you work, the more you can eat, but you can never eat more than you burn and lose weight, at least in my experience.