View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
a735263
FitDay Member

As far as your health is concerned, I suppose there is an anecdotal argument to be made for avoiding artificial sweeteners.

A lot of experts say that artificial sweeteners cause you to gain weight because they increase your desire to eat more or sweeter foods, however I've found this advice to be largely dependent on the individual. Personally, I eat what's on my plan and that's it.

What you need to be careful of is that most sugar free products also contain Acesulfame Potassium, which has actually been scientific proven to spike your insulin levels much the same as regular sugar or other simple carbohydrates, which can cause your body to store fat. (Malaisse et al, 1998)

Whether that is true at the probably small levels of ace k that may be in a sugar free syrup is hard to say. I'd just as soon go with real maple and maybe just use less of it.

Malaisse WJ, Vanonderbergen A, Louchami K, Jijakli H, Malaisse-Lagae F. Effects of
artificial sweeteners on insulin release and cationic fluxes in rat pancreatic islets. Cell
Signal. 1998 Nov;10(10):727-33.

Last edited by a735263; 02-26-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Source update
a735263 is offline   Reply With Quote