Thread: day 1 today
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
carolynnq
FitDay Member

If you're on a low carb/low fat diet, you're probably pretty much on the South Beach Diet. Basically, on the SBD, for the 1st 2 weeks, you eat only meats, dairy, and low-glycemic vegetables. The idea of this 2 weeks is to re-set your metabolism and to take away cravings for sugars and starches. I don't know whether or not it re-set my metabolism, but it did take away my cravings for potatoes!

After that, you add fruits back in, and whole grains (including bread) in moderation, and still choose low-fat meats and dairy, and veggies low on the glycemic index - and avoid sugar, white flour, white rice, and high glycemic veggies (e.g., potatoes).

There's obviously a bit more to it as a whole book was written about it, but that's it in a nutshell. I'd recommend the SBD book though as it has quite a lot of information and keeping blood sugar levels stable and is written in easy-to-understand language.

Both my mother and maternal grandmother developed diabetes, so I'm trying to avoid it.

Off topic: Where in the UK are you? One of my sons went to University of Durham for a year. When I went to visit him, he had already toured extensively in the north and wanted to see the south so we went to Canterbury, Dover, Brighton, Arundel, Southampton, Salisbury, Bath, into Wales a bit, Oxford, London...this was 10 years ago! Right now I'm hooked on "Come Dine with Me" - maybe not the best show to watch while trying to lose weight (!) - but it seems more about the people than the food.
1st Goal 145 lbs 5/25
New goal 140
carolynnq is offline   Reply With Quote