View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
KuriG
FitDay Member

I like frenchhen's reply -- keeping it real!
Here's my take -- most sugar-free maple syrup isn't "maple" syrup so I, stating my opinion, would say YES, it's equally bad, possibly worse...

Most are using "sugar alcohols" like Maltitol or Sorbitol along with Aspartame or Sucralose...
Joseph's -- Ingredients: Water, Maltitol, All Natural Maple Flavor
Maple Grove Farms -- Ingredients: Water, Sorbitol, Natural and Artificial Maple Flavor, Cellulose Gum, Sucralose (Splenda Brand), Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate to preserve freshness, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Zinc, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), D-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12.
Mrs. Butterworth's -- Ingredients: Water, Sorbitol, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Cellulose Gum, Sorbic Acid And Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Butter Flavors, Natural And Artificial Maple Flavors, Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium Sucralose, Caramel Color, Mono- And Diglycerides.

All that stuff is crap -- and remember: whether it says natural or artificial flavorings -- it's ALL man-made -- in a lab somewhere in New Jersey...

The non-sugar-free versions of the above are typically made with corn syrup -- equally crap...

The downside of pure maple syrup is that it's expensive.
The one in my cupboard -- Ingredients: Pure maple syrup

It's the refining and processing of typical "white sugar" that alters the end product beyond recognition -- by our eyes and bodies. The less processing and refinement, the more of the naturally occurring vitamins and minerals will remain in the end product.

Go with PURE maple syrup, RAW cane sugar, honey, molasses, etc -- the benefits are trace vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. I use rice syrup frequently -- it's a good flavor, not as sweet, and it's about 50% complex carbs which break down more slowly in your body and decrease spikes in blood sugar...

Last edited by KuriG; 02-25-2013 at 08:05 PM.
KuriG is offline   Reply With Quote