View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
carolynnq
FitDay Member

Aww, CaramelMissus - I just want to give you a hug.

You want to change - and that's a very necessary first step. And you have the added motivation of staying healthy for your daughter's sake. So, right off the bat, you've got two things working in your favor.

I'm basically using the South Beach Diet (it's a low carb, low glycemic index diet). A couple of years ago, my son and DIL started it, and I read the book and followed along so I'd know what to feed them when they came over. One thing that I really liked about it was the snacks! (mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and evening). Many other diet plans do this too. The idea is to keep your blood sugar stable, but for me, it means that if I get hungry or get a craving, I'm usually never more than an hour or so away from snack time and can usually manage to put off eating until then.

It can be very daunting to have a lot of weight to lose. (Why, oh why, is it so easy to consume 3500 calories - 1 lb - and burn that many excess calories?) And it can be very discouraging trying because each day is a struggle and it takes a while to see an improvement.

Have you set any goals for yourself? Not to lose a specific amount, but behaviors that when done consistently will lead to weight loss. Then give yourself a pat on the back each day you meet your goals. There's a 7-day motivational thread where people post their weekly goals and then post updates.
1st Goal 145 lbs 5/25
New goal 140
carolynnq is offline   Reply With Quote