Notices

Sudden unexplainable increase in hunger

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
FitDay Member

Default Sudden unexplainable increase in hunger

I have been mindfully looking after my calorie and fat intake and getting in a strenuous hike every other day for the past three weeks. So far I have lost three pounds but am also happily losing inches. I have kept my diet very clean - good fats and lean protein with little desire to veer off this way of eating until yesterday when I absolutely had to have pancakes! Is there a chance that my metabolism is changing with all of the new life changes? I can literally see in the mirror that I am gaining muscle mass but certainly don't want to lose footing moving forward with my weight loss plan. Certainly pancakes are a want and not a need, but the craving was unreal. Has anyone experienced this sudden need for refined carbs after weeks of progress? I have a caloric deficit of about 800 on most days and have been feeling great energy up until yesterday evening. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

I have been dieting/exercising for about 2 weeks. Yes, I get the cravings-I'm a carbaholic. Typically I can ignore them. But I was sick for a few days and just had to have girl scout cookies. I figured it was better to give in once in awhile to satisfy the craving instead of ignoring and having the desire increase. I am learning that when I do give in the craving, to choose a very small portion and to take my time eating to savor. It's amazing how much flavor something has and how good it feels when you have gone without. Makes me appreciate it more.

**hoping I continue with this***
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Thanks to the Fitday foodlog I was able to see that I did not eat enough calories over the past two days and perhaps this explains the pancake craving. If you can manage to kick all gluten from your diet the cravings for carbs in general go away in a matter of days -I keep gluten free as I lose inches off my waist, not to mention feel, look and sleep better. This is why the pancake craving seemed so unusual - Pamela's gluten free pancakes are truly superior in taste and texture to wheat based pancakes so I ate a couple and the craving is over. I guess my concern was over a couple of excellent weeks going wayside longterm but I woke up feeling ready to go back to my better food choices. I can handle one meal of pancakes but just didn't want to lose the pattern of eating well 90% of the time.