View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

When you say low calorie, how low are you talking about? Obviously, if your calories are too low, you are not going to feel satisfied no matter what the calories come from. Also, having calories too low can lead to cravings, and can also, in some people, cause your metabolism to slow down to the extent that, paradoxically, it is even harder to lose because you don't burn as many calories.

Studies have shown, actually, that carbs are the least satiating of all the macros. Healthy fats and protein keep you feeling fuller longer. That being said, I am an advocate of healthy carbs and do better when I have them in my diet as well as protein and fats; low carb works like a charm for some people but I'm not one of them.

That being said, for your carbs, choose whole grain foods and ditch the white stuff. Whole wheat bread is better than white, brown rice is better than white rice, sweet potatoes are better than white potatoes, etc. Anything whole and natural (fruits and veggies) is better than anything processed...the natural nutrients haven't been stripped away.

One thing I know is true...the more bad carbs you eat, the more you will crave them.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote