View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

A few thoughts, depending on how much flexibility you have.

*I don't eat at McDonald's, so I don't know how much it costs these days, but I do buy Chinese occasionally. I find it really hard to believe that there aren't some cheaper options that you can make at home that would be healthier. For example: a box of whole wheat pasta on sale is a dollar, and so is a big can of whole or crushed tomatoes (28 oz on sale). A pound of ground beef (if you can't afford the super lean cut, get regular, cook it, drain in a colander, and rinse it...significantly reduces the fat content). Add a salad. That's probably about $2.00 a serving max...can you eat for that at McD's? I know Chinese isn't that cheap! Also, breakfast for dinner. Or buy a whole chicken, cook it into stock, shred it, add veggies and maybe some rice or pasta, and there's soup. It takes thought, but money being tight in and of itself isn't an excuse for not eating better.

*If you have to go the take out food option, peruse the web to find what you can order that would be least bad for you. Some stuff is healthier than other stuff and it's easy to find on the internet (McD's nutrition information spreadsheet, Google "healthiest things on a Chinese menu" or "worst Chinese foods for diet" so you know what to avoid).

*If you can't choose your order, eat a small bit of what they bring home and augment it with something healthier you already have at home (rice-preferably brown, veggies, fruit).

*I personally don't believe it's good to not eat. It can disrupt your metabolism and lead to uncontrolled eating (and poor choices) later. Each of us has to put together a "game plan" of go-to dishes for various situations. Everyone has roadblocks to being successful. You just have to identify yours, take responsibility for your health, and put some thought and planning into the process. Usually then an answer will surface.

*You can always offer to help your parents in terms of getting/preparing/planning dinner, and then maybe they would be more receptive to doing things in a way that fits with your nutritional goals.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck

Last edited by cjohnson728; 02-01-2013 at 05:02 PM.
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote