Notices

No fitness goal is too small?

Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default No fitness goal is too small?

I'm wondering if anyone wants to join my mini-mini goal plan? I tend to do well if I set really "lame" goals. Like in graduate school when I stated that my goal was to study for an hour a day, every day (no "making it up" by doing two hours one day and none the next). People laughed. But it was much easier to commit to a small goal...and I ended up with my PhD when many others did not.

So. I would love to set big fitness goals, but I can't right now, as I just had major abdominal surgery. I decided today that I will walk up and down the stairs twice in the morning and twice in the evening. Lame, eh? But I KNOW that I can achieve this goal...whereas if I said I'd walk 20 minutes each morning and afternoon I would not (and can't at the moment).

And I'm not going to ask hubby to get me things. I will get up and get my own glass of water, even if he's already up and in the kitchen.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM
FitDay Member

I would like to join you. I used to be active martial artist, now have metabolic disorder etc.. and I do great to walk 15 minutes. I have been told that is not good enough by my doc. Makes me want to say forget it. Your post was encouraging!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM
FitDay Member

whoops!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Juliagg! It's great that you set small goals for yourself. I also set small goals. For example I like skipping rope but am I long ways off from being able to do it for 5 minutes straight. So, my mini goal for the day is to do 50 forward and 50 backwards. With time I will be moving it to doing to sets.
Tammyjane: Your goal of walking 15 min. a day is great. Both my doctor and educator tell me that the over all goal for a week of walking is to hit 150 min. With time I have been able to reach it. How I did this was each week I would push myself to walk the extra 5 minutes a day. Buy the end of the month I was hitting the goal of 150.
Example: Week one-15min each day = 105 minutes a week
Week 2-20 min. each day= 140 minutes a week
Week 3- 25 min. each day = 175 minutes a week
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I set small goals as well..only way to fly!lol. I decided that I will take every day as it comes and make the best decisions I can, based on my health. We were really sick with nasty viruses in Dec which rolled into the normally hectic Christmas season so with the exception of today, Jan 1, I will restart my normal routine..but baby steps

When my husband awakens from his nap we will bundle up for the cold and walk the dog for 30 min. No time like the present!!
Before we got sick in Dec I was walking everyday for 30 min and I will be back to that again before too soon

Cheers,

Nancy
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
FitDay Member

So glad I stumbled on to this thread. I have a habit of making big goals and 2 days out I end up quitting because it's TOO big. Thank you for the inspiration of setting goals we can actually achieve!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
FitDay Member

Its 2013 and I realized in the past that I tend to make elusive goals with regards to weight loss so for 2013 am making small but achievable goals. I will try to drink 8 glasses of water and 8 hours of sleep everyday.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default small changes count

I think any change you make toward fitness and health is positive! I blew it over the holidays and trying to get back on track is hard! I was on a roll for a year and a half so I know
I can get back there. I am going to do one outdoor walk/jog a week (30 minutes) one strength training a week and one other cardio like hitting a tennis ball with my hubby. I will commit to 2 fruits a day and 2-3 servings of veggies a day. I know those things alone will make a huge difference since over the holidays I didnt come anywhere close to that.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Join group

Yes I would like to join the group. It can start for you with little steps, set a small goal for yourself and keep track of it, then as you reach that goal set a further smalled goal, in your case steps to work up to what you can handle

Originally Posted by juliagg
I'm wondering if anyone wants to join my mini-mini goal plan? I tend to do well if I set really "lame" goals. Like in graduate school when I stated that my goal was to study for an hour a day, every day (no "making it up" by doing two hours one day and none the next). People laughed. But it was much easier to commit to a small goal...and I ended up with my PhD when many others did not.

So. I would love to set big fitness goals, but I can't right now, as I just had major abdominal surgery. I decided today that I will walk up and down the stairs twice in the morning and twice in the evening. Lame, eh? But I KNOW that I can achieve this goal...whereas if I said I'd walk 20 minutes each morning and afternoon I would not (and can't at the moment).

And I'm not going to ask hubby to get me things. I will get up and get my own glass of water, even if he's already up and in the kitchen.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi everyone! I am Carey one of the FitDay Dietitians. I'm a big fan of small, achievable goals. I would even encourage you to limit these goals to 1-2 weekly so as not to be overwhelmed. Small successes can produce big results. So, no matter how "lame" a goal may seem, if it's going to help you improve your health and fitness that's all that matters. Smaller goals can always lead to larger ones! If you would like to work with a FitDay Dietitian on a personal level to give you more specific recommendations as well as set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-Bound) goals, I encourage you to check out our FitDay Dietitian Service!