View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
01gt4.6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait777 View Post
I'm walking a mile a day at the moment. That seems to be helping a lot. It gets me out of breath and I can see improvement but I don't even know where to begin to "up the ante" per say.

2nd week start running? Am I too out of shape for this? Becuase I've tried running... it's... overbearing. I'm quite overweight at the moment, I don't expect to run a marathon overnight but... when do I move up? HOW do I move up? My friends say "change it up a little" but what does that mean?

Should I increase walk distance during my 2nd week? 3rd? 2nd month? Should I go all out and work through the pain and run every day of the week until my eyes bleed? I really have no clue where I'm going with these work outs. Lol

I want to lose weight asap. That's the number 1 goal. Everything can come later. Losing weight, is number 1. I like working out, I like moving and excersizing. Calorie counting I can do. Dieting, I will work out. There is plenty of information on that, all over the place.

But everyone's body is different including mine. My info is in the original post. Being overweight, is running obsolete? Is it even going to -help- in weight loss? So much information out there. I don't even know where to begin.
I have a bunch of questions.
Are you timing your walks? If so, how long does it take you?
What do you feel is causing you to be out of breath (Are you going faster than you feel comfortable? Do you have breathing issues like asthma? is it an altitude or air quality issue?)
When you say "work through the pain", what kind of pain? (chest pain, muscle soreness, leg cramps, foot pain, shin splints??) If it's any of the last four... how old are your shoes? Are they at least decent shoes with decent support?

What worked for me is I started off walking short distances, like a mile. I timed myself and tried not to go slower than the previous time. I wasn't out to set records but I wanted to make progress. Then I would walk a little further. I'd work my way up, 1.5mi., 2mi., etc. I don't stretch, not because I think I don't need to, I'm just stubborn. So many times when I'm 1/2 mile to mile in I would feel my shins tightening up. I assume it's shin splints. Sometimes the pain was almost unbearable. Often times when you are walking in pain, you change your stride, that made it worse. The only thing that made it better for me was to walk through it. Sometimes it went away quickly, other times it didn't. Last year I did a 1/2 marathon and it wasn't until I was about 5 1/2 - 6 miles in that the pain started to subside.

Another thing that helped me was music! Also, walking in different locations helped me. I would change up my route. If you have a smart phone, there are a lot of walking apps. I use map my run and love it.

I'll be able to give better advice when you answer some of those questions. I just don't want to tell you to push through it or push harder without knowing what's going on. I know you said you have no injuries or disorders, I figured I ask those questions in case there may be something you may have forgotten about. In my line of work, often times I ask people about their health, quite often they say they have nothing wrong until I start to dig... then it's like "well I have asthma..."

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-31-2013 at 01:41 AM.
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote