View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Mern
FitDay Member

Default Mexican Sausage and Tortilla Lasagna

Mexican Sausage and Tortilla Lasagna

This is very easy to prepare. Approximately 10.5 net carbs (after deducting fiber) for 1/5 the recipe or 13.1 carbs for 1/4 the recipe.

Ingredients:
16 oz. mild turkey sausage (I use a pound package of 5 dinner sized links of Perdue brand removed from casing.)
(I didn't need any salt)
1 tablespoon mild chili powder (makes it mildly spicy--add more if you like)
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I included the juice, but you don't have to if you like a thick sauce)
1/2 cup mild picante sauce
4 low carb (5 net carb each) soft taco size tortillas or tortilla wraps such as Le Banderita or Xtreme Wellness brand
1 cup or 4 ounces by weight shredded Mexican cheese (I used Kraft Mexican Four Cheese With a Touch of Philadelphia Cream Cheese

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400F. Coat about a 4 1/2" x 8 1/2" loaf dish (that's what I used) or about an 8" square or round baking dish with cooking spray. (Note: baking time can be adapted to your baking dish size and shape preference--the lasagna is done when heated through and cheese is browned.)
2. If sausage is in casing, remove it from the casing. Brown sausage in skillet over medium high heat, breaking into small chunks.
3. Stir in chili powder to taste, starting with one tablespoon and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and picante sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
4. Assemble lasagna: line bottom of baking dish with 1 tortilla (it may come up the sides of the dish a bit or you may tear it, if desired, to make it fit--I tore mine and made an extra layer.) Alternate layers of tortilla and then meat mixture topped with cheese, ending with meat mixture and cheese on top.
5. Cover lasagna with nonstick foil. Bake 20 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until heated through and cheese is nicely browned. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes before cutting.

Nutrition facts per ENTIRE recipe made with Perdue Turkey Sausage and the Kraft Mexican Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia Cream Cheese.

Calories 1741
Fat 100.3g
Sat 38.7g
Poly 2.6g
Mono 4.3g
Carb 98.6g
Fiber 46.1g
Net Carbs 52.5g
Protein 119.4g
Cholesterol 450mg
Weight 3/26/2014 223.4
Current weight 4/4/2014 221.2