Notices

newboy 73yo - is jumping rope OK for me

Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default newboy 73yo - is jumping rope OK for me

G'day i weigh 106.7k and need to be at most 80k because i am just 5'6" tall.

feel pretty good but get very tired easily and thats because i am just so fat.

am trying and now the wife watches every bite i take.

wonder would it hurt me to jump rope. i had a triple bye pass operation ten years ago.

walk but after about ten minutes need to turn back - because i am to fat.

appreciate your opinion

regards

peter
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard Peter. I would definitely check with your doctor because jumping rope can be VERY physical. There are a lot of things besides your heart that come into play, such as joint/bone condition, balance and coordination.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 PM
FitDay Member

thanks i will do that - all my other bits and pieces seem ok for me but i do need exercise and think jumping rope would fit in well with my life style

Happy New Year

regards

peter
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Happy New Year to you too.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

there's a dvd that allows you to 'walk' in place in your home, with a group in the studio, with a leader and music. It's a series, all of them good.

Leslie Sansone exercise and workout videos & DVDs

I have them on DVD and on video. It doesn't take much room to walk in place in your own home, and you actually rack up quite a few miles, if you want. And you can stop whenever you want. It's great.

I agree that jumping rope is hard on your joints, even if you are a fit person. It requires more space, and probably isn't as pleasant as working out to a DVD.

collagevideo has so many great workout videos and dvds. I even did one with an elderly friends, both of us sitting in chairs and doing gentle exercises to music. Some of the videos are filmed in interesting places, too.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Peter! When I first started jumping rope again after not doing it for years, I set small goals of how many jumps. I started with 10, then ever two weeks I would and 5 more. It has been over a year with adding this back into my daily work out of walking, and working out weekly on the physical therapy equipment. I can say I am now able to do 25 jumps comfortable. I say comfortable because it's just enough to feel my heart beat with out feeling like I can't catch my breath.